The Warlingham artist who gives his work away for free every Friday morning
- Credit: 043023011593
When you are out and about in Surrey, keep your eyes peeled, because you may just come across a piece of artwork that could be yours for nothing!
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine November 2014
Bogdan Zarkowski, an artist from Warlingham who creates unique collages using old posters from around the world, has so far given away over 150 of his limited edition, signed prints.
Each Friday morning, he distributes one around Surrey and leaves a photo clue as to the whereabouts of the print – the race is then on to see who can track it down (see the clues at Facebook.com/ExpiredPosters).
“Free Art Friday is the perfect vehicle for distributing my work,” says Bogdan.
“It allows me to return to the street what was taken from the street.”
- 1 Win a fabulous free-range Morton's Norfolk turkey for Christmas!
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 8 charming market towns you need to visit in Somerset
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 The best walks in Dorset to see the autumn leaves
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 You can stay at this adorable Winnie the Pooh 'Bearbnb' in Sussex
- 8 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 9 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 10 7 of the best spas in Sussex
Bogdan studied graphic design at Croydon College of Art and lectured there in the 1970s. In the 80s, he formed Zarkowski Designs and continues to create promotional artwork for some of the biggest names in music including Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan and The Who.
And for the last 30 years, Bogdan has also enjoyed collecting and photographing expired posters, assembling them to create his striking ‘torn poster’ billboards.
“The idea of someone unexpectedly finding my free art prints is akin to the buzz I get when I find expired posters to photograph (or take down) from the street,” he adds.
So, you heard it here first then – free art in Surrey!
• For more on Bogdan’s work, visit his website at ExpiredPosters.com or find him on Facebook