Theatre: Return Of The Unknown at Marlowe Theatre
- Credit: Archant
Ben Roddy – best known as The Marlowe’s pantomime dame – is to star in Return Of The Unknown, a major new work to mark the centenary of the Armistice
Ben Roddy – best known as The Marlowe’s pantomime dame – is to star in Return Of The Unknown, a major new work to mark the centenary of the Armistice.
Drama, music, dance and digital art will combine to create an immersive theatrical experience, made and performed by leading professional artists and a 400-strong community company from across Kent. It looks at the world of remembrance and will tell the stories, known and unknown, of the people of the region.
Dover Marine Station, on the western docks, was where many soldiers left British soil for the First World War, and where 1.26 million wounded soldiers returned.
It was also where, in November 1920, the Unknown Warrior passed through on his way to Westminster Abbey, where he became an integral part of our national identity.
Ben, who will play several characters in Return Of The Unknown, said: “After working with The Marlowe for nine years now, I’m absolutely delighted to have been asked to join the cast of this new production. It’s a very important part of Kent’s history; a story that needs to be told. And as a proud Canterbury resident, I’m especially excited to be involved, I can’t wait to get started.”
The Marlowe’s Head of Artistic Productions Andy Dawson is Artistic Director of Return Of The Unknown, which is written by the theatre’s Literary Associate James Baldwin. The director is Matt Costain, with musical direction by Anna Pool.
• Return Of The Unknown is at Dover Marine Station from 8 to 11 November (various performance times). Tickets at £14.50 (concessions available) are from The Marlowe Box Office on 01227 787787 and marlowetheatre.com. The production, which is in partnership with Port of Dover, is sponsored by Pharon Independent Financial Advisers.
- 1 Star cast unveiled for new ITV crime drama set in North Devon
- 2 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 3 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 4 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 5 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021
- 6 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 7 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Cornwall this Halloween
- 8 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 9 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Somerset this Halloween
- 10 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021