*VIDEO* Children’s horse charity celebrates 60th anniversary at Hampton Court Palace
- Credit: Archant
The children’s charity The Horse Rangers Association began its 60th anniversary celebrations on Saturday March 1 with its Founders’ Day procession at Hampton Court Palace.
Founded in 1954 by Raymond Gordon the organisation was originally based at Shepperton. His vision was to enable any young person to learn horsemanship and how to care for horses whatever their background or ability.
The charity relocated to stables at the Royal Mews, East Molesey during the 1960s. It’s a unique organisation in that it’s not a riding school but uses the animals to help the 400 rangers in their personal development.
It has two squadrons for children with special needs. These specialised classes come under the umbrella of the Riding for the Disabled Association and operate at the charity’s Indoor School at the Stockyard, Bushy Park where there are also five paddocks.
Over 200 children took part in Saturday’s procession to the Palace where the horses were blessed by the Chaplain of the Chapel Royal, Canon Denis Mulliner. Many of the charity’s adult volunteers, who were involved when they were children themselves, assisted on the route.
The Horse Rangers are now looking ahead to their next big event to mark their Diamond Jubilee. On Sunday March 30 the public is being invited to join a cycle ride (a 25 mile one around Surrey and a 75 mile ride to High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire).
Details can be found @ www.2boats.org/the-horse-rangers-charity-cycle
Read on for more about Surrey’s Horse Rangers.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 3 Can you rehome Surrey’s loneliest dog?
- 4 Visit the village that people never want leave
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 10 National Garden Scheme open gardens to visit in Cheshire this summer
- 9 Wild Essex: 5 hotspots for nature lovers
- 10 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire