6 great walks near Helmsley
- Credit: Archant
Many people use Helmsley as a base for exploring the North York Moors, these six walks all commence within a ten mile radius of the market town, making them perfect for a day trip.
Rievaulx Abbey and Hambleton Hills
3 miles from Helmsley
This walk on the edge of the Hambleton Hills, close to Sutton Bank, egins from the charming hamlet of Old Byland, visits the stunning ruins of Rievaulx and weaves through charming woodland and spends a while tracing the valley of the Rye through constantly-changing scenery.
6 miles from Helmsley
- 1 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 2 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 3 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 4 A positive outlook for the housing market for 2021
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 18 of the best lockdown takeaways across Yorkshire
- 7 Steph McGovern on her new lunchtime show, Steph’s Packed Lunch
- 8 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 9 Why Ashbourne needs to be your next family outing
- 10 The ultimate 5-day walk: Along the Derwent Valley Way
The Howardian Hills are steeped in history and this walk, which also takes in the valley of the Rye, visits two of the most historic buildings in the area.
7 miles from Helmsley
Setting off from All Saints' Church, there are good paths and tracks but a high ridge to climb on this lovely moorland walk.
8 miles from Helmsley
This walk, sandwiched between the North York Moors and the Howardian Hills, takes in four delightful villages and some gentle countryside with sweeping views of the Vale of York and the escarpment of the moors around the White Horse.
9 miles from Helmsley
This walk sets off from the Ryedale Folk Museum and takes in the charming valley of the River Dove before calling in on another charming community at Gillamoor before making its way back to the start.
9 miles from Helmsley
Many people believe that the view from the top of Sutton Bank is one of the finest in the country, follow good paths and woodland tracks to discover wonderful panoramic vistas.