Route for a North Downs Way walk from Guildford to St Martha’s
- Credit: Andrew Bowden / Flickr
We are showcasing a linear and hilly four-mile stretch of the North Downs Way – Surrey’s nationally designated long-distance trail
Start: Guildford Town Bridge, Guildford
Nearest railway stations: Guildford
Parking: Farnham Road Car Park
Postcode for Sat Nav: GU2 4AJ
Grid ref: SU 995495
- 1 The Hairy Bikers Yorkshire Food Tour
- 2 11 best Devon Christmas markets for 2021
- 3 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021
- 4 The Hairy Bikers Go North to explore the Yorkshire coast
- 5 Historic Surrey Homes: Albury Park Mansion
- 6 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 7 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 8 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021
- 9 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 10 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
Length of walk: 4 miles (6.4 km) 2 hours
Food and drink: The Percy Arms Pub in Chilworth at the end of the walk. Lovely beer garden.
While you are there: Allow some time to explore the Gunpowder Mill ruins at Chilworth.
1) The walk begins at the River Wey, in Guildford, at the bottom of the cobbled High Street. Cross Town Bridge and turn left between the White House pub and the river and follow it to a wooden bridge over the river, around three-quarters of a mile from the centre of Guildford.
2) Cross the bridge at St Catherine's and follow the path over a field, then across Shalford Park.
3) Cross the A281 and follow the Pilgrims' Way for a short distance before reaching Chantry Wood on the right.
4) Follow the acorn signs through Chantry Wood until the path meets Halfpenny Lane.
5) Turn left up the road and then almost immediately right onto the footpath signposted to St Martha's Hill. Follow the sandy track up this gently sloping hill. The view from the top of the hill is excellent and you can see all the way to the South Downs.
6) From St Martha's Hill the sandy path descends and crosses the Downs Link, a path linking the North Downs Way with the South Downs Way. Turn right on this path and follow the path down the hillside into the Tillingbourne Valley.
7) Follow the path through a wood, and between fields to a junction of paths. Turn right and follow the path alongside the edge of a vineyard until you reach the corner of the vineyard, near Chilworth Manor.
8) Take the path to the left, which will enter an old Gunpowder Mill site. Follow the path, to a crossing path, go straight over here and continue on until you reach the Tillingbourne stream. Keep following the path straight on, veering slightly to the left, until it comes out near a picnic area with picnic benches.
9) Cross the bridge over the stream and follow the path along past a school until it ends in a T-junction with the A248.
10) At the junction with the A248, turn left towards the Percy Arms pub.
11) Just opposite the pub is Chilworth railway station, which has an hourly service back to Guildford. Alternatively, there are regular bus services (approximately every 30 minutes) from outside the station back to Guildford.
- The best Surrey walks - With beautiful countryside, stunning villages and plenty of bluebells during spring, Surrey is an amazing place for a stroll