6 great walks in West Lancashire
- Credit: Archant
A selection of walks from our archive that are located in the countryside inland from Southport. NOTE: Safeguarding against the coronavirus is likley to be a part of everyday life for the forseeable future. We advise that two metres social distancing and checking the latest guidelines are the best course of action.
Take a walk through the agricultural heartlands of Lancashire and spot some terrific bird life at Hesketh Out Marsh.
A riverside route among the the Douglas and the fields surrounding Hesketh Bank, via Becconsall.
Away from the fields, we head to Burscough for a a canalside stroll to Parbold with the potential of birds and small wildlife to spot.
- 1 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 2 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
- 3 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 4 Win a diamond ring worth £1,000
- 5 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 6 5 million pound properties for sale in Derbyshire
- 7 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 8 Win a signed limited edition print by Fiona Odle
- 9 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 10 Win a watercolour painting of Gosfield by artist James Merriott
Rufford and Mere Sands Wood
Set off from Mere Sands Wood Nature Reserve and travel through open fields, canal towpaths and the edge of the old Rufford estate.
This walk sets off from Cedar Farm in Mawdesley and heads south to Bispham Green, passing by Harrock Hill, a rare point of elevation in these flatlands.
Sefton Coastal Path
If you do want to head as west as you can, then you will eventually come to the coast. The Sefton Coastal Path is 21 miles in total, but there a number of sections that can make for a few hours walking.