Winter walks in Kent
- Credit: Archant
Six of the best spots in the county for a winter’s walk that will put a spring in your step and blow the cobwebs away
Ightham Mote, nr Sevenoaks
Situated on the edge of the Kentish Weald, this fabulous National Trust property is a well-preserved example of a 14th-century moated manor house. Explore the romantic house and gardens before heading out into the wider estate for a walk. Look out for kestrels soaring the skies and long-tailed tits roving the hedgerows.
You can pick up a leaflet of estate walks from the ticket office – there are mapped routes of 2k (1.2m), 2.25k (2.5m) and 4k (2.5m) over farmland and through woodland.
You can also go the National Trust website to download longer circular routes of Oldbury Hill and Ightham (8.9k/5.5m) and Old Soar Manor and Ightham (11.3k/7m).
Refuel: The National Trust café at Ightham Mote serves light lunches and cakes. For a cracking pub lunch, made with locally sourced produce, head to The Plough (theploughivyhatch.co.uk, 01732 810100, TN15 0NL) in the pretty nearby village of Ivy Hatch.
- 1 Everything you need to know about Sarah Beeny's move to Somerset
- 2 Win a luxury Christmas hamper worth £250 from Bakers & Larners of Holt
- 3 WIN a stunning Jo Downs art piece worth £520
- 4 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 5 8 beautiful towns in Kent to visit over Christmas
- 6 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 7 Christmas in Hertfordshire 2021: Top festive markets
- 8 Win a £5000 staycation in Cornwall
- 9 Magical Christmas markets in Kent 2021
- 10 12 of the best Christmas events in Surrey
Further information: nationaltrust.org.uk/ightham-mote