10 events and things to do in Hampshire - July 2017
- Credit: Archant
Charlotte Tomlinson-White has scoured the county to bring you the top events taking place in Hampshire this July
Birds of the New Forest
St Barbe Museum reopens this month after major renovations. Now a flagship heritage centre, sculptor Geoffrey Dashwood and TV presenter and naturalist Chris Packham have teamed up to present a stunning inaugural exhibition in the new gallery spaces, where visitors will be able to admire Dashwood’s larger-than-life bronzes.
• When: July 15 – September 9
• Where: St Barbe Museum & Art Gallery, Lymington SO41 9BH, stbarbe-museum.org.uk
Retail and Romance
Visitors to this exhibition may be surprised to learn that Jane Austen knew the town of Basingstoke well and attended dances in its Assembly Rooms. Austen wrote about the world she knew, and that most definitely included how one behaved at a ball, what one wore and ate. The gentry, the gowns and the gossip will all be explored in this exhibition. An avid consumer herself, her letters evoke the period with descriptions of what she wore and when.
- 1 The best place to view stormy skies in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 2 How to spend a day out in magical St Albans
- 3 Win the Cobra MX3440V Cordless Lawnmower
- 4 Cheshire summer holiday outings: Making Tracks 2 model railway exhibition at Chester Cathedral
- 5 See photos of the last time Ladybower revealed its submerged village
- 6 Win a luxury 2-night Lake District getaway to the Skiddaw Hotel worth £500
- 7 Rob and Dave Nicholson - the TV farmers from Barnsley
- 8 Cheshire walk - Anderton Boat Lift and Nature Park
- 9 17 amazing experience days in Hampshire
- 10 Win a luxury break at the Raithwaite Sandsend Hotel
• When: July 29 to October 7
• Where: Willis Museum and Sainsbury Gallery, Market Place, Basingstoke RG21 7QD, hampshireculturaltrust.org.uk/willis-museum
Fighting, Flirting and Fortune
The inspiration for the naval officers in Mansfield Park and Persuasion undoubtedly came from Jane Austen’s brothers, Francis and Charles, who were on active service in this golden era of the British Navy. The Navy at the Time of Jane Austen - fittingly on display at the port of Gosport - looks at the danger and the drama as well as the social life aboard ship, through her novels, letters and contemporary accounts.
• Where: The Gallery, Gosport Discovery Centre, Walpole Road, Gosport, PO12 1NS, hampshireculturaltrust.org.uk/gosport-gallery
The Addams Family
Don’t miss the UK premiere of this musical comedy from the writers of Jersey Boys. Everyone’s favourite kooky family have moved into the neighbourhood and Wednesday Addams has fallen in love with a man from a respectable family.
• When: July 18 – 29
• Where: Mayflower Theatre, Commercial Road, Southampton, SO15 1GE, mayflower.org.uk
James Bond Murder Mystery
MI17 plans an uneasy truce with the Russians, but someone is plotting to spoil the party. There are villains, Bond Girls and lots of laughs in this evening of entertainment in which you decide who is guilty and enjoy a three course meal into the bargain.
• When: July 8
• Where: Groundlings Theatre, 42 Kent Street, Portsea, Portsmouth PO1 3BS, groundlings.co.uk
Bang! It’s Poetry in Motion
Bang Said The Gun is poetry for people who don’t like poetry. Expect to be dragged into a world where normal rules do not apply. Voted the UK’s best poetry night by The Times.
• When: July 8
• Where: West End Centre, Aldershot, GU11 3JD, hampshireculturaltrust.org.uk/west-end-centre
A Walk on the Wild Side
Opening this month is the brand new ‘Lemur Loop’ at Marwell Zoo. Home to four different species of lemur, the new walk through exhibit tells the story of lemur evolution and diversity, giving visitors the opportunity to take part in observation and skills based activities whilst discovering facts. Promising a truly immersive experience, explore the beautiful landscaped environment of these engaging characters and enjoy close up encounters with a large and endangered bird species, the green peafowl, perching on branches and roaming amongst the lemurs.
• When: July 26 onwards
• Where: Marwell Zoo, Thompsons Lane, Winchester SO21 1JH, marwell.org.uk
Quiz Fest UK
Meet the stars from the television and quizzing world at the very first Quiz Fest UK. Various celebrities, including Christopher Biggins, Paul Sinha and Helen Lederer, will be on hand signing autographs and merchandise, plus numerous traders open to visitors and regular free quizzes throughout the afternoon with prizes to be won. In the evening, test your knowledge in either the fun quiz or professional quiz, both hosted by celebrities, for big money. With all the attractions that Beaulieu has to offer too, this a day you won’t want to miss!
• When: July 29
• Where: Beaulieu, Brockenhurst SO42 7ZN, beaulieu.co.uk
Adventures in Time
There is a rift in time and only you can heal it! Take your family to Milestones and travel from the age of the dinosaurs through to present day to solve the incredible indoor time mazes. Collect crystals from each zone to heal time - or there will be dinosaurs roaming the streets of Milestones! Don’t forget to head out of the museum to the grass area and venture around the outside maze which will available from July 15–September 3.
• When: July 4 – October 29
• Where: Milestones Museum, Leisure Park, Churchill Way West, Basingstoke RG22 6PG, hampshireculturaltrust.org.uk/milestones-museum
Spitfire Sisters’ Nostalgic Night
Head to Hinton Ampner and enjoy a vintage summer evening with the fabulous Spitfire Sisters. The classic ‘40s style, close harmony vocal trio, backed by a six piece swing band, will be filling the air with an old take on some new tunes as well as some swing classics. Relax on the lawns as the sun sets over the elegant country house, bring a picnic and make an evening of it. Booking is essential.
• When: July 21
• Where: Hinton Ampner, near Alresford SO24 0LA, nationaltrust.org.uk/hinton-ampner