10 events and things to do in Hampshire - June 2015
- Credit: Archant
We’ve scoured the county to bring you the top events taking place this month
Back to Life
Jazmine Miles-Long, an ethical taxidermist who only works with birds and animals that have died from natural causes, will be hosting a captivating talk and demonstration on this unusual subject. Discover the processes involved in the strange and fascinating craft of taxidermy and watch as Jazmine demonstrates some of the techniques she uses to create work for artists, collectors and museums. Places are limited!
• When: June 7, 2-2.30pm
• Where: Portsmouth Museum, Museum Road, PO1 2LJ, 02392 834744, www.portsmouthcitymuseums.co.uk
Opera on the Lawn
Enjoy a magical midsummer’s musical evening on the lawn at Rotherfield Park. Sir James and Lady Scott have kindly agreed to open up their gardens so Popup Opera, a young touring group with the most beautiful voices, can perform their stunning production of Rossini’s masterpiece L’Italiana in Algeri (The Italian Girl in Algiers). All proceeds from this event are going to the Empshott Hut Renovation Fund. Don’t forget your rug and picnic!
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 3 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 13 beautiful riverside pubs to visit in the Cotswolds
- 5 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 6 Sing along to the Cheshire Life song
- 7 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 8 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 9 10 Dorset towns you really must visit
- 10 10 of the prettiest Villages in Dorset to visit
• When: June 21, gates open at 5.30pm
• Where: Rotherfield Park, East Tisted, GU34 3QE, www.popupopera.co.uk
Head to Milestones Museum and witness some pre-historic wonders! Discover some of the earliest dinosaur hunters, and marvel at some of the creatures living in our seas 190 million years ago before encountering five life-size animatronic dinosaurs. You can even book on to the fossil dig to unearth finds of your own! A must for all dinosaur lovers, it is guaranteed good fun for all the family.
• When: June 13 – September 27
• Where: Milestones Museum, Leisure Park, Churchill Way West, Basingstoke, RG22 6PG, 01256 477766
The Importance of Being Earnest
Don’t miss this trivial comedy starring David Suchet as Lady Bracknell, when the much loved masterpiece comes to Southampton. Two bachelor friends lead double lives to court the attentions of two desirable ladies. The gallants must then grapple with the riotous consequences of their deceptions. Directed by Adrian Noble, be the first to experience this major new production before it opens in the West End next year.
• When: June 1-6
• Where: Mayflower Theatre, Commercial Road, Southampton, SO15 1GE, 02380 711811
The Big 3-0
Say Happy Birthday to these furry friends and celebrate the 30th anniversary of Sylvanian Families in Whitchurch. A haven for all collectors, pop along to this shopping weekend and witness a fantastic range of Sylvanian products for sale. With competitions, creative activities marquee and even visits from your favourite characters, it is set to be a fabulous day out.
• When: June 27 and 28, 10am-4pm
• Where: Whitchurch Silk Mill, Whitchurch, RG28 7AL, 01256 895511, sylvanianstorekeepers.com
Delight in an evening of classical music in the surrounding of Sir Harold Hillier Gardens this month when the City of Southampton Orchestra performs an impressive playlist, including Holst and Bizet. The concert culminates with a spectacular firework finale.
• When: June 6, 6.30pm
• Where: Sir Harold Hillier Gardens, Jermyns Lane, Romsey, SO51 0QA, www3.hants.gov.uk/hilliergardens
Discover a new take on the famous fairytale from Ballet Cymru, who have collaborated with a number of artists for this production, including the award-winning composer Jack White and creative Circus Company Citrus Arts. Featuring choreography by Darius James and costumes by Steve Denton, this timeless story is brought to life using the company’s blend of classical technique and storytelling.
• When: June 19, 7.30pm
• Where: The Haymarket, Wote Street, Basingstoke, RG21 7NW, 01256 844244, www.anvilarts.org.uk
Award-winning comedian and leader of twelve legged comedy – jazz juggernaut The Horne Section, Alex Horne is one of the UK’s most inventive comics. Catch him at The Point with his new show Monsieur Butterfly - one flap of his delicate wings and mayhem will prevail!
• When: June 4, 8pm
• Where: The Point, Leigh Road, Eastleigh, SO50 9DE, 02380 652333, thepointeastleigh.co.uk
Shoot and Luncheon
Celebrate Father’s Day at Tylney Hall when they invite Dads and their families for an exciting afternoon filled with fine dining and clay pigeon shooting. Enjoy a delicious three course lunch in the impressive Oak Room Restaurant then venture out into the hotel’s magnificent grounds where the whole family can try their hand at a round of laser clay shooting and archery.
• When: June 21
• Where: Tylney Hall, Rotherwick, Hook, RG27 9AZ, www.tylneyhall.co.uk
Father’s Day Camping
Spend quality family time together at The Vyne this month. The former Tudor palace, with its acres of garden, meadows and woodland, is offering Dads and their families a unique opportunity to camp out in its ancient walled garden. Enjoy a BBQ, camp fire, games, and the chance to explore the grounds before settling down for the night under canvas in this beautiful location. Then awake to a delicious warm bacon roll and hot drink the following morning. Perfection!
• When: 20 – 21 June, 5pm to 10am
• Where: The Vyne, Sherborne St John, near Basingstoke, RH24 9HL, 01256 883858, www.nationaltrust.org.uk/vyne