10 events and things to do in Hampshire - June 2017
- Credit: Archant
Charlotte Tomlinson-White has scoured the county to bring you the top Hampshire events taking place this June
Zaza Goes On Tour
La Cage Aux Folles: Bill Kenwright presents the first UK tour of the Tony and Olivier award-winning production, with John Partridge as Albin, who moonlights as star drag act Zaza at the infamous nightclub. La Cage Aux Folles follows the story of Georges, a Saint Tropez nightclub manager, and his partner, Albin. They live an idyllic existence in the south of France but all may be about to change.
• When: June 21-24
• Where: Mayflower Theatre, Commercial Rd, Southampton SO15 1GE
- 1 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 2 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 3 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 4 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 5 Win £500 of Gallox fashionwear
- 6 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 7 Stately homes in Hertfordshire: 7 grand estates to visit
- 8 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 9 Beautiful places to go wild swimming in Suffolk
- 10 Blue Flag Beaches in Kent 2021
The Six Wives of Henry VIII: Join award-winning academic, author, historian and broadcaster Dr Suzannah Lipscomb as she leads us through the dramatic events of Henry VIII’s six wives, all of whom had a life before Henry and, in some cases, after him. Discover how Katherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Anne of Cleves, Kathryn Parr, Jane Seymour and Katherine Howard shaped England’s Renaissance tyrant and, in so doing, shaped England.
• When: June 1
• Where: The Spring Arts & Heritage, 56 East Street, Havant PO9 1BS, thespring.co.uk
Life On The Edge
Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Life at the Limits: Join the adventurer for a journey through his life, from his ancestral heritage to the present day. Life at the Limits covers Sir Ranulph’s childhood, misdemeanours at school, army life and early expeditions, through to the Transglobe Expedition and the recent Coldest Journey. Discover how he received his record breaking accolade while risking life and limb, in some of the most ambitious private expeditions ever undertaken.
• When: June 28
• Where: Kings Theatre, Albert Road, Southsea PO5 2SH, kingsportsmouth.co.uk
A New Take On Classic
Graeme of Thrones: Created by some of the UK’s top comedy writers, this is a parody of Game of Thrones. Unhappy with how his books were realised for TV, Graeme shows how it should have been done.
• When: June 8
• Where: The Haymarket, Wote Street, Basingstoke RG21 7NE, anvilarts.org.uk
You’ll Go Quackers
Duck Trail: One night in 1992, thousands of plastic yellow ducks were washed overboard from a cargo ship into the Pacific. Ten have reached the Mill, via the River Itchen. Children take on the role of reporters to track down the ducks, with prizes for successful newshounds.
• When: Until June 4
• Where: Winchester City Mill, Bridge Street, Winchester, SO23 9BH, nationaltrust.org.uk/winchester-city-mill
Rachel Newton Trio: Founder member of The Furrow Collective, The Emily Portman Trio and The Shee, singer and harpist Rachel also writes and performs solo material. Enjoy songs in English and Scottish Gaelic.
• When: June 9
• Where: The Forge, Churchill Way, Basingstoke RG21 7QR, anvilarts.org.uk
Clowning Around In The Name Of Love
Love story: Lead clown for Cirque du Soleil, Sean Kempton, mixes comedy, mime and clowning with the odd bit of dance in this absurdist show about love.
Expect an energetic and entertaining, physical piece that takes its audience on a journey through the fragility, hilarity and awkwardness that love can entail.
• When: June 17
• Where: Ashcroft Arts Centre, Osborn Road, Fareham PO16 7DX, hampshireculturaltrust.org.uk/ashcroft-arts-centre
Take A Walk On The Roof
Rooftop walkway: Those with a head for heights will love this new 360-degree rooftop walkway. It’s literally the high point in The Vyne’s £5.4 million project to rebuild its huge roof. You can walk up 74 steps to the top, but there’s also a lift. Viewing areas give you a birds-eye view across the estate. Drop some money down the chute – you’ll hear a surprising noise when it hits the ground.
• When: Until November 30
• Where: The Vyne, Sherborne St John, RG24 9HL, nationaltrust.org.uk/vyne
A Night With The Birds
Top birds: Head over to The Hawk Conservancy for a fun evening celebrating our feathered friends.
The evening starts with a hog roast roll (vegetarian alternative available) followed by a collection of light-hearted, un-rehearsed, previously unseen displays including Chris and Ashley, birds from the trust, robotic birds and guest appearances from other birds such as a Marabou Stork and Raven.
• When: June 24
• Where: The Hawk Conservancy Trust, Sarson Lane, Weyhill, Andover SP11 8DY, hawk-conservancy.org
In Austen’s Footsteps
Art trail: ‘Sitting With Jane’ features 25 sculptural benches, all shaped like an open book.
Each is uniquely designed and painted by a professional artist in a style inspired by Jane Austen’s life and times in Basingstoke, Steventon and the surrounding area.
Venture on this art trail to explore (and sit in) places and landscapes that were important influences on Jane’s life and work – often undiscovered by visitors. Once the trail closes, each sculpture will be auctioned for a local charity.
• When: June 17 – August 31
• Where: Various locations and around Basingstoke, sittingwithjane.com