10 events and things to do in Hampshire - October 2015
- Credit: Archant
Charlotte Tomlinson-White has scoured the county to bring you the top events taking place this month
St Barbe Museum & Art Gallery are hosting a major exhibition called Shorelines – Artists on the South Coast. Exploring how artists from the 18th Century to the present have drawn inspiration from the cliffs, beaches and harbours of the Channel coast, the exhibition showcases works by some of the most important names in British art over the last few centuries.
• When: Until January 9 2016
• Where: St Barbe Museum & Art Gallery, Lymington, SO41 9BH, 01590 676969, stbarbe-museum.org.uk
Venture over to Queen Victoria’s favourite place by the sea and celebrate the harvest. Sample the delicious fruits of the Osborne estate and learn about Victorian fruit varieties. Taste the produce of the Island and follow an autumnal trail through the garden and grounds. With fun activities for all the family, it is guaranteed to be a great day out!
- 1 9 cosy pubs in Devon to warm up in this winter
- 2 Surrey Life meets Strictly costume designer Vicky Gill
- 3 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 4 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 5 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 6 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 9 The Hairy Bikers hit West Yorkshire
- 10 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021
• When: October 24-26, 10am - 4pm
• Where: Osborne House, York Avenue, East Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO32 6JX, 0370 333 1181, www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/osborne
The atmospheric houses and gardens of the National Trust will be brimming with ghoulish goings on for kids and adults alike.Enjoy ghost tours and macabre theatre at Hinton Ampner; try pumpkin carving and Halloween baking at Winchester City Mill; and venture on the Castle of Otranto gothic novel story trail and bat-themed walks at The Vyne. Plus a fun day of apple bobbing, toasting marshmallows and broomstick making at Foxbury in the New Forest.
• When: Various dates thorough October
• Where: Visit nationaltrust.org.uk for full Hampshire attractions
Billie Holiday Hits
Join multi award-winning jazz vocalist Claire Martin OBE and pianist Dave Newton and celebrate the music of Billie Holiday, in this, the centenary of her birth.
• When: October 17, 8pm
• Where: The Spring Arts & Heritage, 56 East Street, Havant, PO9 1BS, 02392 472700, www.thespring.co.uk
Enjoy two full days learning everything you need to know about how to make cider. Offering residential and non residential places.
• When: Every October weekend
• Where: Upper Neatham Mill Farm, Upper Neatham Mill Lane, Holybourne, Alton, GU34 4EP, 01420 542908
Delve into the Kafka-like world of STRIKE! where man breaks free from bureaucracy and the constraints of work. Directed by the up-and-coming Keziah Serreau and devised with a company of five highly skilled performers, be prepared to be amazed and astonished.
• When: October 1, 7.30pm
• Where: Bedales Arts, Steep, GU32 2DP, 01730 711510, bedales.org.uk
Simon Weston’s Story
Falkland’s War veteran, author and public speaker, Simon Weston OBE is taking to the stage for the first time to tell his no holds barred story. From his own unique perspective, Simon will share shocking truths about the conflict, about the day the RFA Sir Galahad was attacked and about the impact the event and its consequences have had since. Discover his journey from the front line of war to being a national treasure - a truly inspirational show not to be missed!
• When: October 3, 7.30pm
• Where: The Haymarket, Wote Street, Basingstoke, RG21 7NE, 01256 844244, www.anvilarts.org.uk
Suitable for little ones aged 2 to 8 years, don’t miss this brand new family event. Embrace the autumn and venture around the village on a scarecrow trail to receive a chocolate treat! Discover your creative side and enjoy arts and crafts, and then settle down and listen to a story.
• When: October 10, 1pm-4pm
• Where: Colden Common Community Centre, Winchester, SO21 1UU, 01962 712477, www.coldencommon-pre-school.co.uk
Gluten free food fair
The Wessex Voluntary Support Group of Coeliac UK will once again be bringing national and local suppliers of gluten-free food together. Members of the group will also be on hand to offer advice and answer any questions about Coeliac disease and the gluten-free diet.
• When: October 3, 10.30am-2.30pm
• Where: Winchester Guildhall, Broadway, High Street, SO23 9GH, www.guildhallwinchester.co.uk
Don’t miss this hugely entertaining show in the company of the man recently voted the best food and drink journalist in Britain. Jay Rayner has been a restaurant critic for over a decade and he knows that people like bad reviews. Join Jay as he examines our love affair with lousy reviews, reads from accounts of some of the most excruciating nights out he’s ever had and looks at the worst reviews his own work has ever received.
• When: October 2, 7.45pm
• Where: The Lights, West Street, Andover, SP10 1AH, 01264 368368, www.thelights.org.uk