10 events and things to do in Hampshire - September 2015
- Credit: Archant
Charlotte Tomlinson-White has scoured the county to bring you the top events taking place this month
Trees have fascinated artists for centuries. Now, a new group of contemporary artists called the Arborealists are adding fresh work to this tradition. They have created a show exclusively for National Trust property Mottisfont, which is home to many fine ancient trees, including the largest and oldest plane tree in Britain. Marvel at paintings, prints and photographs, intricate pencil drawings and beautiful natural sculpture.
• When: September 19 – November 15
• Where: Mottisfont, Romsey, SO51 0LP, 01794 340757
- 1 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021
- 2 The Hairy Bikers Yorkshire Food Tour
- 3 11 best Devon Christmas markets for 2021
- 4 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 5 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 6 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 7 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 8 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021
- 9 The Hairy Bikers Go North to explore the Yorkshire coast
- 10 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
Biographer Lucinda Hawksley will be leading this interactive workshop about writing lives. Perhaps you have a hankering to write your memoirs, to research deeper into the history of an intriguing family member or to write the biography of someone you admire? Discover where to begin, how to extend your research and how to structure your work. Plus gain insight into and tips about the publishing industry!
• When: September 26, 10.30am-4pm
• Where: Jane Austen’s House Museum, Winchester Road, Chawton, Alton, GU34 1SD, 01420 83262, www.jane-austens-house-museum.org.uk
Discover the life experiences of one of the most successful and well-respected Welsh athletes. Gareth Thomas will be sharing his life story, including his sporting triumphs and moving, personal journey of his identity struggle in this fascinating talk. Hear about his work as a gay rights activist and his iconic status as he chats to local sports media celebrity, Paul Bunker. An absolute must for any rugby fans!
• When: September 11, 7pm,
• Where: Portsmouth Guildhall, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, PO1 2AB, 0844 847 2362, www.portsmouthguildhall.org.uk
Big Band Divas
Multi award-winning jazz vocalist Claire Martin OBE joins the BBC Big Band for a celebration of the leading ladies of Big Band music. Featuring classic songs plus plenty of popular Big Band hits.
• When: September 25, 7.45pm
• Where: The Anvil, Churchill Way, Basingstoke, RG21 7QR, 01256 844244
Voice of the Streets
Having signed to Warner Music UK’s East West,Si Cranstoun is set to take the charts by storm. His style is a blend of northern soul, Motown and vintage pop.
• When: September 17
• Where: Wedgewood Rooms, 147b Albert Road, Portsmouth, PO4 0JW, 02392 863911
Suitable for little ones aged 3+, this stage adaptation of Julia Donaldson and Lydia Monks’ colourful farmyard adventure features live music, puppetry, audience participation and lots of laughs!
• When: September 18 and 19
• Where: Nuffield Theatre, University Road, Southampton, SO17 1TR, 02380 671771
Eastleigh Film Festival returns this month with more jaw-dropping location-specific screenings and invaluable industry insights. Promising to put the excitement back into the movies, enjoy one-off interactive cinematic experiences and classic films in the town centre. Last year film fans were able to bowl with The Big Lebowski, enjoy phenomenal food alongside the mouth-watering Big Night, and even run from zombies while the credits rolled on Dawn Of The Dead. The festival also supports filmmaking with a dedicated career day run by industry professionals, as well as a short film competition.
• When: September 21-26
• Where: The Point, Leigh Road, Eastleigh, Southampton, SO50 9DE, 02380 652333, www.thepointeastleigh.co.uk
One Night in Vegas
In 1969, after nine years in Hollywood, Elvis returned to his real passion - live performance. Relive the King’s triumphant return to the concert stage as Mark Anthony recreates this historic period with Elvis - One Night in Vegas. As one of the most dynamic Elvis tribute artists in the world today, Mark Anthony brings this unique period to life - the songs, the costumes, the emotions, the energy, the raw power - all brought together in a two hour concert spectacular.
• When: September 12
• Where: Kings Theatre, Albert Road, Southsea, Portsmouth, PO5 2QJ, 02392 828282, www.kingsportsmouth.co.uk
Lest We Forget
As part of The Spring’s commemoration of the outbreak of WWI, local artist Margaret Marks has been working in tandem with the local community to create a stunning textile book. This specially commissioned Book of Remembrance features one hundred textile poppies created by locals and utilizes the fabric flowers to illustrate a poignant reminder of those who lost their lives in the conflict.
• When: Until October 29
• Where: The Spring Arts & Heritage, 56 East Street, Havant, PO9 1BS, 02392 472700, www.thespring.co.uk
Join Britain’s only French registered Boucher-Charcutier-Traiteur, Marc Frederic, for this hands-on specialist workshop. Watch demonstrations, gain valuable knowledge about pork butchery, create and take home pancetta, coppa, salami and chorizo. Plus enjoy a delicious farmhouse lunch with Marc himself, who has appeared on Rick Stein’s Food Heroes, Countryfile and Jamie and Jimmy’s Friday Night Food Fight.
• When: September 27, 10am-4pm
• Where: Parsonage Farm, Upton, Andover, SP11 0J, 01264 736208, www.parsonage-farm.co.uk