2019 Great Yorkshire Show - photo special
- Credit: Richard Walker/ImageNorth
Record numbers of people turned out for this year’s Great Yorkshire Show
It's a show with a 161-year history but 2019 was the biggest yet for the popular Great Yorkshire Show. More than 135,000 people poured through the gates including guest of honour HRH the Duke of York who attended on the final day.
Prince Andrew watched the popular fashion show with clothes from Yorkshire designers showcased in the new-look GYS Fashion Pavilion. This included Sarina Dean, whose fashion firm Galijah is run from her family's 190-acre farm at Oldstead near York, producing tweed capes which are now selling as far afield as Japan and America. He met two of the region's leading agricultural machinery suppliers, watched showjumping in the main ring, visited the Game Cookery Theatre and met members of the Yorkshire Regiment in the Military Village. He also met with sculptor Emma Stothard who created the Fodder 10 Hen to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the Yorkshire Agricultural Society's farm shop and café.
There were record-breaking entries across some of the sections, including cattle classes with 1,247 entries across beef and dairy, sheep with 2,597 entries, sheep shearing with 241 and Hives and Honey with 801 entries.
Charles Mills, show director, said: 'We were proud to host HRH The Duke of York. It was a spectacular three days, with some of the finest animals in the country competing in the judging rings, finishing with an exhilarating Cock O'The North showjumping competition.
'I was so proud to see each section looking great, the competitions were exhilarating, the entertainment, the visitors which spanned every generation - I think the show just keeps getting better and better, and the attendance numbers really reflect this.'
Sporting Soprano Lizzie Jones rounded off the show, singing in the Main Ring before the traditional President's Handover which saw Tom Ramsden hand to Charlotte Bromet the new president of the Yorkshire Agricultural Society for the coming year.
- 1 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 2 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 3 Win a stunning brass table lamp from Opulental
- 4 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 5 Why presentation is so important when selling a home
- 6 18 of the best lockdown takeaways across Yorkshire
- 7 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 8 A positive outlook for the housing market for 2021
- 9 Steph McGovern on her new lunchtime show, Steph’s Packed Lunch
- 10 The ultimate 5-day walk: Along the Derwent Valley Way