5 things to do in Surrey this weekend
The weekend is fast approaching and for those still deciding how to spend their Friday through to Sunday, we pick five of the best ways to spend your weekend in Surrey
1. Christmas Glow, RHS Wisley, 1 December to 3 January
Back for its third year, Christmas Glow is set to bring captivating light installations of giant, botanically inspired blooms to RHS Garden Wisley this winter. The festive experience follows a trail around the garden with views of impressive lighting displays along the way. The garden opens until 8pm in December and normal entry applies.
2. Wintershall Nativity, Wintershall Estate, 13 to 17 December
First performed nearly 30 years ago, around 6,000 visitors watch the 90 minute Wintershall Nativity in a barn near Bramley every year these days. The play is performed by 50 volunteer cast in beautiful biblical costumes, with songs and music, assisted by a full complement of sheep, donkeys, horses and a sheepdog.
3. Santa Special, Rural Life Centre, from 9 December
Grown ups will find the Rural Life Centre as enchanting as the children this Christmas, with a ride through the woods on the Old Kiln Light Railway, a visit to the elves’ workshop and, depending on the day, a chance to see the sheep and donkeys at close hand. Expect twinkling lights, Christmas music and seasonal refreshments. Tickets: adults, £7.50; children (0-16), £12.50
- 1 9 cosy pubs in Devon to warm up in this winter
- 2 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 4 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 5 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 6 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 7 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 8 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 9 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 10 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
4. Guildford Gag House Christmas Special, The Star Inn, throughout December
It’s a bumper month for Guildford Gag House with three Fridays full of merriment and mickey taking lined up. With Danny Buckler, Phil Jerrod, Jake Lambert and Aaron Simmonds on 8 December and Larry Dean, Abi Roberts, David Jordan and Darren Walsh on 15 December, there’s no excuse not to keep your spirits high this festive season. Tickets: £15
5. Christmas at Kew, Royal Botanic Gardens, throughout December
Fairytale meets fantasy at Kew Gardens this year in a world of singing trees, larger-than-life flora, ribbons of light, giant baubles, and a flickering Fire Garden. The Palm House will leap into life with a dazzling show of laser beams, jets of light and kaleidoscopic projections. Tickets: adults, from £16
Don’t forget to check out our guides to Christmas markets and pantomimes in Surrey this festive season!