9 events and things to do in Hampshire - March 2016
- Credit: Archant
Charlotte Tomlinson-White has scoured the county to bring you the top events taking place this month
Care for a cuppa?
Tea: how do you take yours? Milk no sugar. Milk in first. No milk at all? Builders, Earl Grey... Herbal? What’s behind our choices? What defines our identity? Do we really fall into “social tribes” and if so, how far up the social ladder is our tribe? Can we climb higher? Inspired by the tapestries of Grayson Perry, Taste is a delicious romp with humour, irreverence and playfulness at its heart. With writing from Murray Lachlan Young and choreography from Sally Knight and Neil Paris and a post-show chat.
• When: March 10, 7.30pm
• Where: The Spring Arts & Heritage, 56 East Street, Havant, PO9 1BS, 02392 472700, www.thespring.co.uk
Feast Your Eyes
Don’t miss James Martin live on the big stage this month! Plates, Mates and Automobiles marks 20 years since the respected celebrity chef first graced our TV screens, winning the hearts of the nation. Experience a fast-paced, interactive and high tech extravaganza, packed with James’ signature cooking demonstrations, some surprises along the way and not to mention some very special guests too!
- 1 5 of the best places to visit in Cheshire this summer
- 2 How to spend a day out in magical St Albans
- 3 Win a luxury 2-night Lake District getaway to the Skiddaw Hotel worth £500
- 4 Heatwave reveals ancient Yorkshire bridge
- 5 See photos of the last time Ladybower revealed its submerged village
- 6 Win a luxury break at the Raithwaite Sandsend Hotel
- 7 Win the Cobra MX3440V Cordless Lawnmower
- 8 17 amazing experience days in Hampshire
- 9 Cheshire walk - Anderton Boat Lift and Nature Park
- 10 Where to find the best ice creams in Kent
• When: 23 March, 7pm
• Where: Portsmouth Guildhall, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, PO1 2AB, 0844 847 2362, www.portsmouthguildhall.org.uk
Wild Play Day
Bring your best detection skills for a day packed with exciting woodland activities and a Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt. Discover nature’s hidden secrets with the rangers - find out where New Forest birds make their nests, and what creepy crawlies they like to eat. Plus hands-on den-building, expert bush craft advice and watch chain-sawing in action. You can even meet some New Forest animals! Finish by toasting marshmallows on an open fire. Don’t forget to visit the on-site BBQ!
• When: March 27 and 28, 11am – 4pm
• Where: Foxbury, New Forest, Half Moon Common, Blackhill Road, East Wellow, SO51 6AQ, 01794 344020
Treat your Mum to a special Afternoon Tea at Tylney Hall! Enjoy a glass of champagne before savouring a selection of sandwiches and pastries, and of course freshly baked scones.
• When: March 6, 3.30pm
• Where: Tylney Hall Hotel & Gardens, Ridge Lane, Rotherwick, Hook, RG27 9AZ, 01256 764881, www.tylneyhall.co.uk
A must for all military enthusiasts, don’t miss your chance to get up close to some of the vehicles on display at Aldershot Military Museum.
• When: March 11 and 18
• Where: Aldershot Military Museum, Queens Avenue, Aldershot, GU11 2L, 01252 314598
Don’t miss this opportunity to witness the art work of the prolific artist, the late Gyula Sajó. Featuring oil paintings, watercolours, prints and woodcuts, marvel at a generous selection from the family’s private collection.
• When: Until March 19
• Where: Bedales Arts, Steep, Petersfield, GU32 2D, 01730 711510
Tales of Endurance
Have you ever wondered how you might cope faced by seemingly impossible odds? As humans we have extraordinary ability in terms of ingenuity, adaptability and sheer determination, but how can we access these abilities in a crisis? Through carefully selected stories Ray Mears explores all of these topics and more, providing an insight in to what makes a survivor. Be prepared to be inspired to succeed by the stories of our fellow human beings and the incredible circumstances they have overcome.
• When: March 31, 7.30pm
• Where: The Anvil, Churchill Way, Basingstoke, RG21 7QR, 01256 844244
Every three years the comedian Sean Lock writes and tours a new stand-up show. Well he’s only gone and done it again! Keep It Light sees Lock at his best. What’s he like? Some say he’s gloriously intelligent, some say he’s hilariously funny while others think he’s deliciously unlikely. Pop along and see what he’s blithering on about this time and make your own judgement.
• When: March 23, 8pm
• Where: Princes Hall, Princes Way, Aldershot, GU11 1NX, 01252 329155, www.princeshall.com
After a stomping performance on TFI Friday and riding the wave of the anthemic single Better Love, Foxes will embark on her biggest UK tour to date to include a performance at Portsmouth Pyramids. Enjoy solid gold pop songs of the highest order enriched with personality, emotional honesty and maturity.
• When: March 7, 7.30pm
• Where: Portsmouth Pyramids, Clarance Esplanade, Southsea, PO5 3ST, 02392 799977, www.pyramids-live.co.uk