A look ahead to The 2013 Westmorland County Show
- Credit: Archant
Get set for one of the region’s great countryside events
It has been voted one of the top five agricultural shows in the UK and it happens in our region this month.
The Westmorland County Show, supported by Lancashire Life & Lake District Life, is one of the largest one day shows in the country. As many as 30,000 people will be heading to the showground at Crooklands near Milnthorpe on Thursday, September 12.
The organisers are proud that this remains a major livestock show, with its heart firmly in agriculture. Sections include cattle, sheep, goats, horses, pigs, heavy horses, alpacas, dogs and poultry.
There are also marquees for the Women’s Institute, Learning for Life, Crafts from Cumbria – all supporting a wide range of wonderful artisan crafts. The Food Hall will be packed with local producers promoting their products and there will be special demonstrations, rural crafts and over 350 trade stands.
One event not to be missed is the very popular Cumberland and Westmorland wrestling, with many competing in traditional costumes.
‘We are also delighted to be hosting the Northern Branch Show in the Zwartbles sheep section whilst Beef Shorthorn classes will be held for the first time in the cattle section,’ said the organisers.
- 1 Slade star's wife gets two-book deal – without trading on her famous name
- 2 Cotswold designers win big at Chelsea Flower Show in 2022
- 3 The life and death of Manchester Arena bombing victim Martyn Hett
- 4 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Win a Dunlopillo king size diamond mattress worth £2,500 from Peter Betteridge
- 6 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
- 7 22 fab half term and Jubilee activities in Devon
- 8 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 10 Yorkshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Noddy Holder's wife: my guide to being married to a rock star
TV chef Phil Vickery headlines the demonstrations in the enlarged Food Theatre, which will be in a separate marquee from the magnificent Food Hall.
The new-look Lakeland Pavilion is being extended to include a range of lifestyle stands and will also host fashion shows during the day.
Probably the biggest change will see the members marquee move to the newly created plateau area overlooking the Main Ring, which will also incorporate the luncheon and dining areas.
A free bus service will operate throughout the day from Kendal and Milnthorpe and a “fast track” entrance at Gate C is available for those with pre-paid or members’ tickets. A dedicated cycle park is provided opposite the main entrance.
Come prepared because you never know what the weather is going to do – but you can be sure of a great day out.