All things apple this weekend
- Credit: Archant
As the temperature drops and the evenings draw in, Snowshill Manor and Garden is preparing for its annual autumn celebration of everything apple-related.
Within the terraced Arts-and-Crafts-style garden of Snowshill Manor and Garden there are two orchards which produce over fifty varieties of apples in a range of colours, sizes and flavours. These and hundreds of other varieties will be on display this weekend, including ‘Sheep’s Noses’ and ‘Early Strawberries’.
A substantial proportion of the fruit trees on the National Trust site were planted by Linda Roberts, Gardener in Charge, who has gardened on organic principles at Snowshill for over twenty years.
“This has been an amazing year for apples,” Linda says. “The wet spring and the lovely long summer have meant ideal conditions for apples so the crop has been particularly fruitful this year.”
As well as the hundreds of apples on display, there will be opportunities for visitors to taste pressed, cooked, fermented and freshly picked fruits of all shapes and sizes. The restaurant menu will also be packed with apple-related delights from sausages to pickles to cakes.
There will be a local producers’ market selling a range of products including beers, ciders, jams and cheeses. The Snowshill garden team will be on hand to answer any questions, and younger visitors can enjoy a variety of craft activities and games, and a demonstration bee hive.
“The team have worked really hard to put together an event that appeals to all, with a real local and seasonal feel,” says Gosia Rumsey, Marketing Officer. “I am looking forward to an old-fashioned celebration of the humble apple!”
- 1 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Somerset this Halloween
- 2 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 3 9 of the best places for coffee across Cornwall
- 4 7 Autumn walks in Kent to delight the senses
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 8 Try this pretty, circular coastal walk at the Chidham Peninsula
- 9 At home in the Cotswolds with Simon McCoy
- 10 11 pretty riverside pubs in Hertfordshire
More information is available at: www.nationaltrust.org.uk/snowshillmanor
Snowshill Manor and Garden is located in Snowshill, a village located near Broadway, Worcestershire.