All things apple this weekend
- Credit: Archant
As the temperature drops and the evenings draw in, Snowshill Manor and Garden is preparing for its annual autumn celebration of everything apple-related.
Within the terraced Arts-and-Crafts-style garden of Snowshill Manor and Garden there are two orchards which produce over fifty varieties of apples in a range of colours, sizes and flavours. These and hundreds of other varieties will be on display this weekend, including ‘Sheep’s Noses’ and ‘Early Strawberries’.
A substantial proportion of the fruit trees on the National Trust site were planted by Linda Roberts, Gardener in Charge, who has gardened on organic principles at Snowshill for over twenty years.
“This has been an amazing year for apples,” Linda says. “The wet spring and the lovely long summer have meant ideal conditions for apples so the crop has been particularly fruitful this year.”
As well as the hundreds of apples on display, there will be opportunities for visitors to taste pressed, cooked, fermented and freshly picked fruits of all shapes and sizes. The restaurant menu will also be packed with apple-related delights from sausages to pickles to cakes.
There will be a local producers’ market selling a range of products including beers, ciders, jams and cheeses. The Snowshill garden team will be on hand to answer any questions, and younger visitors can enjoy a variety of craft activities and games, and a demonstration bee hive.
“The team have worked really hard to put together an event that appeals to all, with a real local and seasonal feel,” says Gosia Rumsey, Marketing Officer. “I am looking forward to an old-fashioned celebration of the humble apple!”
- 1 Who is the real Hampshire soldier behind BBC Two's new drama Danny Boy?
- 2 13 beautiful riverside pubs to visit in the Cotswolds
- 3 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 4 6 wonderful seafood restaurants to visit in Yorkshire
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 6 Five hot new restaurants opening in Sussex
- 7 Bluebell walks in Dorset: 8 of the best places to go
- 8 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 9 A 5.3 mile circular walk around Sandwich
- 10 10 of the prettiest Villages in Dorset to visit
More information is available at: www.nationaltrust.org.uk/snowshillmanor
Snowshill Manor and Garden is located in Snowshill, a village located near Broadway, Worcestershire.