Appeal launched to conserve bell tower
- Credit: Archant
An appeal has been launched to raise vital funds to conserve Evesham Abbey Bell Tower.
After almost 500 years the iconic Grade I listed tower is in need of repair following its closure last summer. The last major repair work was completed just over 60 years ago. Since then the effects of severe weather have taken their toll.
To help us conserve the Bell Tower there is an urgent need to raise £500,000.
Appeal Coordinator Gillian Nicholls said: “We know that raising such a large sum of money isn’t going to be easy, particularly in the current economic climate. We are hoping to raise a significant percentage of the conservation costs through grants, but all donations, however big or small, will help us reach our target. We are confident the people of Evesham will be hugely supportive of the appeal and help us save an important part of the town’s heritage for future generations.”
The official appeal launched this week and several events are already planned over the next 12 months to attract donations, including concerts and stalls at local events.
Gillian adds, “Whether you can donate to the appeal, support one of our events or give up some of your time to help with fundraising every contribution helps.”
To donate to the Evesham Abbey Bell Tower Appeal, to get involved or for more information visit www.eveshambelltower.org.uk
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 3 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 4 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 5 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 6 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 7 8 secluded secret beaches in North Devon
- 8 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 9 17 of the best things to do in Essex for free
- 10 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
Facts and figures:
33 metres tall
Four internal floors
Cotswold stone walls
Walls range from 1,500mm thick at base to 400mm thick at parapet level
Corner buttresses approx. 1m x 2.4m deep
Decorative carved stonework