Business Profile - Blacker Hall Farm Shop
- Credit: Archant
Blacker Hall Farm Shop will celebrate its fifteenth anniversary this year. Born from a desire to sell exceptional quality, locally reared meat from the family farm direct to the consumer, the shop was opened by the Garthwaite family in 1999.
The Farm Shop now sells beef and pork from the family farm, and other great local farms, along with locally sourced poultry and lamb.
As well as traditional products such as sausages, burgers and bacon, the Butchery has also developed a range of quick to cook meal solutions, such as stuffed and wrapped chicken breasts, stir fries and meatballs.
The shop also boasts an extensive range of fresh fruit and vegetables, a Deli, Bakery and The Wine Loft, selling fine wines and spirits and locally brewed beers.
Almost 80% of the products sold at the Farm Shop are handmade on site, including traditional and flavoured breads, desserts, salads, cakes and biscuits, ready meals using products sold in the shop and a range of pork pies and quiches. The business has won over 60 awards for their own home-made produce, including 10 Great Taste Awards and England’s Best Roast Beef (EBLEX George Awards 2004).
There is now also a cafe, gift shop and florist on site, making it a great ‘one stop’ shopping destination. The Barn Cafe was converted from a 16th century barn and retains many of its original features. It serves food from breakfast through to 6pm Monday to Friday, and 5pm at the weekend, with light lunches, sandwiches, afternoon and cream teas available.
Earlier this year, Blacker Hall was named the UK’s Best Farm Shop by FARMA, the Farm Retailer and Markets Association. The ambition of Edward and Cheryl Garthwaite, who own and manage the farm shop, is to live up to that title through their commitment to providing not just great quality, local and seasonal food, but ensuring it’s delivered with an exceptional level of customer service.
- 1 6 great woodland walks in the Peak District
- 2 5 million pound properties for sale in Derbyshire
- 3 9 of Yorkshire’s best bakeries
- 4 Win a 12 bottle case of mixed wines and champagne from Wharf Side Wines
- 5 Yorkshire Wolds walk - Thixendale to Hanging Grimston
- 6 4 interesting places to visit in the Peak District
- 7 Win a short break at Landal Darwin Forest
- 8 First Look: Cool Yorkshire gastro pub launches new boutique rooms
- 9 Why Ashbourne needs to be your next family outing
- 10 Celebrity TV doctor Amir Khan on how to beat the Covid blues
With plans afoot to further extend the farm shop, the shopping experience at Blacker Hall should be set to become even more enjoyable!