Buxton Opera House
- Credit: Archant
Buxton Opera House is one of Britain’s leading receiving theatres, presenting around 450 performances each year including dance, comedy, children’s shows, drama, musical concerts, pantomime and opera as well as a lively Fringe Theatre and Community and Education Programme.
The theatre is also home to the prestigious Buxton Festival, The International Gilbert & Sullivan Festival and The Four-Four-Time Festival of Live Music.
Lovingly restored to its former glory in 2001, Buxton Opera House is an exquisitely beautiful Edwardian theatre and one of the country’s finest examples of Frank Matcham theatre design.
“Frank Matcham’s glorious Opera House at Buxton, with its warm and intimate design, always guarantees a night to remember for theatregoers” Knutsford Guardian
- 1 Devon coast to star in new Ainsley Harriott series on Channel 4
- 2 What's on in Norfolk June 2022
- 3 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Ball and Boe announce a new album for 2022
- 5 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 10 Cheshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 7 10 Yorkshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 These are the Cornwall beaches awarded Blue Flag status in 2022
- 9 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: 13 events to celebrate in Cornwall
- 10 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
If you’re looking for a belly laugh we have stand up comedians, comedy dramas and our informal Buzz comedy club.
We have a varied programme of drama, with adaptations from classical literature and popular stories to Shakespeare and whodunits.
Almost every genre puts in an appearance; from popular performers, recitals, choirs, and tribute acts, to brass bands, folk music, gala concerts, musicals and our increasingly popular Jazz sessions.
Ah, yes, Opera. Where better to see it than in one of Matcham’s glorious theatres? After all, the man who designed the London Palladium must have known how to present Opera at its very best. We have also hosted the International Gilbert & Sullivan Festival since 1994.
For a full listing of what’s on at Buxton Opera House visit: www.buxtonoperahouse.org.uk or call our box office on: 0845 127 2190