Buxton Opera House
- Credit: Archant
Buxton Opera House is one of Britain’s leading receiving theatres, presenting around 450 performances each year including dance, comedy, children’s shows, drama, musical concerts, pantomime and opera as well as a lively Fringe Theatre and Community and Education Programme.
The theatre is also home to the prestigious Buxton Festival, The International Gilbert & Sullivan Festival and The Four-Four-Time Festival of Live Music.
Lovingly restored to its former glory in 2001, Buxton Opera House is an exquisitely beautiful Edwardian theatre and one of the country’s finest examples of Frank Matcham theatre design.
“Frank Matcham’s glorious Opera House at Buxton, with its warm and intimate design, always guarantees a night to remember for theatregoers” Knutsford Guardian
- 1 7 autumn walks in Kent to delight the senses
- 2 12 historic village churches in Cheshire
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 5 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 6 Meet Maggie, GBBO's 70-year-old contestant from Dorset
- 7 Try this pretty, circular coastal walk at the Chidham Peninsula
- 8 9 of the best places for coffee across Cornwall
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 10 5 great walks in and around Kendal
If you’re looking for a belly laugh we have stand up comedians, comedy dramas and our informal Buzz comedy club.
We have a varied programme of drama, with adaptations from classical literature and popular stories to Shakespeare and whodunits.
Almost every genre puts in an appearance; from popular performers, recitals, choirs, and tribute acts, to brass bands, folk music, gala concerts, musicals and our increasingly popular Jazz sessions.
Ah, yes, Opera. Where better to see it than in one of Matcham’s glorious theatres? After all, the man who designed the London Palladium must have known how to present Opera at its very best. We have also hosted the International Gilbert & Sullivan Festival since 1994.
For a full listing of what’s on at Buxton Opera House visit: www.buxtonoperahouse.org.uk or call our box office on: 0845 127 2190