Celebs help raise £55,000 at Gatsby themed charity ball
- Credit: Archant
A starlit marquee at Old Trafford Football Club was the location for the 12th annual Denise Welch and Tim Healy charity ball. The couple may have divorced and be happily ensconced with new partners, but their dedication to supporting local charities remains as fervent as ever.
Organisers of the event, Entertainment Today, transported guests back to the ‘roaring Twenties’ creating a speakeasy setting filled with Gatsby era glamour.
Stars from stage, screen and sport turned out in force to support Denise and Tim in their mission to raise funds for two special charities: The Gem Appeal, a charity funding research into genetic disorders, and Mind, the national mental health charity.
Coronation Street’s Samia Ghadie with Sylvain Longchambon, Kym Marsh, Hayley Tammaddon, Krissi Bohn and Cherylee Houston along with Shobna Gulati pulled out all the stops with their 1920’s attire.
Hosted by Darren Proctor of Key 103, and Becky Want, from BBC Radio Manchester, the evening was full of entertainment. With prohibition gangsters guarding the door to the ‘joint’ guests entered to Charleston sounds by the evening’s resident jazz band. ‘Fat Tony’ made his appearance through dinner before being interrupted by a police raid!
Kym Marsh took to the stage in sequinned hot pants and blazer to perform All that Jazz. Denise and Tim’s youngest son, Louis, aged 12, received a standing ovation for his performance of the Etta James’ classic, At Last ,before announcing that he is to follow in his family’s showbiz footsteps after winning a role in the West End’s Full Monty.
The X Factor’s Marcus Collins took to the stage and kicked off the seasonal festivities with Wham’s classic Last Christmas. He was followed by vocal harmony group The Overtones who gave a superb performance to a jam-packed dance floor.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 3 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 4 Win a picnic hamper from Booths
- 5 For sale: Yorkshire's dreamiest coastal view
- 6 8 secluded secret beaches in North Devon
- 7 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 8 10 National Garden Scheme open gardens to visit in Lancashire this summer
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 10 10 National Garden Scheme open gardens to visit in Derbyshire this summer
The event raised £55,000 for the two charities.