CORNWALL WILDLIFE TRUST - BRITISH BEE WEEKEND
The Environmental Record Centre for Cornwall and Isles of Scilly (ERCCIS), hosted by Cornwall Wildlife Trust will be hosting a special British Bee Identification Weekend Workshop on the 23/24July. ERCCIS are privileged to have Steven Falk, author of the recently released and critically acclaimed Field Guide to the Bees of Great Britain and Ireland (British Wildlife Field Guides) lead this workshop. With over forty years’ experience of working with bees, Steven will guide in the identification of solitary bees, bumblebees and honey bees. This workshop is suitable for all levels of expertise and everyone will have the opportunity to expand their knowledge and identification skills.
Saturday will be spent at Cornwall College, Newquay where Steven will coach the basics of identification. Participants will learn about the ecology and complex life cycles of the solitary and social bees and have the opportunity to examine specimens under the microscope. Then, on Sunday special permission has been given to access the MOD owned area of the Penhale Dunes Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), normally closed to the public. New-found skills will be put to the test at this largely undisturbed area of coastal dune habitats which support a wide variety of life. These fascinating habitats will be explored, looking for bees and their nests or burrows and try to identify them.
To book your place please email ERCCIS@CornwallWildlifeTrust.org.uk and request a booking form. Please also check our Facebook page at to find out about our other workshops.
If you require transport to/from workshops or would like to car share please let us know and we will try and help. You will be sent further details about the workshop nearer the event on a poster confirming the venue, meeting times and detailing what to bring.
If you would like further information on the workshops, on getting involved in biological recording or on the work of your Environmental Records Centre, please contact Laura Fox at the Records Centre Wildlife Information Service on (01872) 240777 ext 240.
- 1 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 2 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 3 Simon Reeve explores the Lake District his new series
- 4 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 5 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 6 Win an amazing festive break for two in Devon
- 7 Star cast unveiled for new ITV crime drama set in North Devon
- 8 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021
- 9 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 10 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021