Cotswold Camerata concert: Thursday, June 20
- Credit: Archant
Patrons: Professor Ian Tracey ~ John Lenehan ~ Michael Bochmann
Conductor: Ian Higginson
Leader: Ben Hall
Cotswold Camerata is delighted to be taking part in Cirencester’s Bingham Celebrations, marking the centenary of one of the town’s great benefactors, Daniel George Bingham (1830-1913). Formed in early 2012 by conductor Ian Higginson, the chamber orchestra is made up of professional, semi-professional and good amateur musicians from the Cotswolds and has given concerts in Gloucestershire and Belgium. The orchestra offers vibrant and exciting performances of music from the classical period and other music with chamber orchestra size scoring and believes that performing music is fun!
George Bingham was born in Cirencester and pursued a successful career in the railways, ultimately moving abroad and becoming general manager of the Dutch-Rhenish Railways. Although he never returned to live in Cirencester, he did not forget the town. One product of his vision and benefaction was Bingham Hall which opened in 1908 and continues to provide a venue for many events and societies in Cirencester.
Bingham Hall, King Street, Cirencester, GL7 1JT is the venue for Cotswold Camerata’s concert at 7.30pm on Thursday, June 20, 2013, the opening concert of the Bingham Concert Series. The programme will include works by Bingham’s contemporary, Edward Elgar, who wrote Chanson de Matin and Chanson de Nuit around 1889-1890, coinciding with the start of Bingham’s benefactions to Cirencester. Other pieces include Mendelssohn’s ever popular Hebrides Overture, Brahms’ Hungarian Dances (No.s 1 and 5) and Mozart’s Haffner Symphony (No. 35).
- 1 4 fab places to dine in Devon
- 2 Waterfalls, Weirs and Cascades of the Peak District
- 3 Devon coast to star in new Ainsley Harriott series on Channel 4
- 4 Win a champagne and jewellery shopping day in Harrogate worth £500
- 5 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
- 6 These are the Cornwall beaches awarded Blue Flag status in 2022
- 7 10 wonderful walks around the Cotswolds
- 8 Top celebrity craft makers head for Devon festival
- 9 Win a short break at Wrea Head Hall on the edge of the North York Moors
- 10 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: 13 events to celebrate in Cornwall
Join Cotswold Camerata to celebrate Bingham’s centenary with an evening of music in the Hall that bears his name. Tickets are available from The Information Point at Bingham House, 1 Dyer Street, Cirencester, Gloucestershire GL7 2PP. Individual tickets are £10.00 and series tickets for all three concerts are £25.00. For ticket information, please telephone: 01285 655646 or email: email@example.com. For details of over 50 Bingham Celebrations events visit www.danielbingham.org.uk.
For further information on Cotswold Camerata, please visit www.cotswoldcamerata.weebly.com