Exhibition of children’s art at Collier & Dobson Ltd
- Credit: Archant
June 21 – June 30 2014
Built on a foundation of forty-five years in the art business Collier & Dobson stock a range of artworks by renowned artists, suffice it to say, ‘of a certain age!’
But this summer changes are afoot. On the evening of the 20th June Collier & Dobson will be opening a show dedicated to work by Forres Sandle Manor School pupils aged 8 to 11 years.
Curated by art teacher Jane Whiteley and gallery owner Philip Collier the theme is simply ‘The New Forest’.
“We wanted a very loose theme but one which was anchored around the New Forest. When you live and work in the Forest it is easy to take it for granted, We want the children to think about what it means to be studying in such a lovely area and to put that into a picture.”
The children have been encouraged to work in a wide range of media including acrylics, polymer paints, watercolour and pastel. As well as looking to local artists like Pete Gilbert for inspiration, they have also been delving into wider art historical contexts. This includes painting sheets of paper in New Forest colours to cut and paste into their designs as a homage to the current Henri Matisse exhibition at the Tate Modern.
The exhibition (around 75 paintings/drawings) will raise funds for The Honeypot Children’s Charity (www.honeypot.org.uk) which provides outreach support nationwide and respite holidays in the New Forest for child carers age 5-12 years. Monies will be raised by picture sales and an auction at the Private View. Auction prizes include a stay at The Cider House in Buckland, jewelry and ceramics by Lefroys General Store and treatments from Alice Martin at the Keystone Clinic.
- 1 WIN £200 worth of luxury silk bed products
- 2 Win a luxury ladies watch worth £199
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 Win super stylish summer shades!
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 A fond farewell to Torbay from the captain of cruise ship Eurodam
- 7 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 Property of the month: Godfreys Farmhouse, Great Totham
- 10 8 great family walks in the North West