Farfield Mill Community Benefit Society launch party
- Credit: Susannah Harpham
Farfield Mill, which is near the popular town of Sedbergh, was host to a party to launch its conversion from a charity into a Community Benefit Society.
The four-storey Victorian mill is home to 20 designer-makers and artists, and is a retail outlet for more than 60 crafts people.
It includes a woollen heritage centre, has two working industrial looms and a room of hand-looms for visitors to try their hand.
But it is running at a loss and needs to raise £350,000 through a share offer to pay off the mortgage so that the mill belongs to the community. The money will also be used for desperately needed renovations and repairs and to market the mill properly so it generates income to make it viable.
If the campaign does not reach the minimum target then everyone gets their money back and the mill will close.
The share issue is being handled by Ethex, a financial services company which acts as a conduit for ethical investment.
- 1 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 2 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 3 Simon Reeve explores the Lake District his new series
- 4 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 5 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 6 Win an amazing festive break for two in Devon
- 7 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021
- 8 Star cast unveiled for new ITV crime drama set in North Devon
- 9 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021
- 10 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn