- Credit: Archant
The Best Western George Hotel, Hathersage.
An Inn with a 500 year history, the George occupies a prominent position at the heart of the picturesque Peak District village of Hathersage. Under the continued ownership of Eric Marsh since 1996, the George has undergone a continual transformation to a ‘smart’ hotel offering every modern facility to the guest, whilst retaining many key original features. Sympathetic modernisation offers simple décor in the bedrooms, a light and contemporary feel in the Restaurant combined with much original artwork and antiques throughout the building.
Renowned for its friendly, informal and attentive service, George’s Restaurant is a key feature of the Hotel. A strong local following makes pre-booking essential. Chef Helen Heywood is now in her tenth year at the George and continues to show a flair and passion for her cooking, a philosophy of using the best produce possible, much locally sourced, remains central to her popular following.
A modern approach to cooking is matched by a ‘compact’ wine list, featuring an eclectic mix of styles, grape varieties and countries of origin; eight wines are offered by the glass and the bar boasts a surprising range of malt whiskies.
- 1 5 of the best cycle cafés in Lancashire
- 2 A haunting Cotswolds memoir of growing up in a ménage à trois in the 1950s
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 See inside this £1.5 million modern property in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 Martin Clunes shares his favourite local places in Dorset
- 7 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 How the Goosnargh Gin distillery bounced back from adversity
- 10 6 great walks near Grassington
Other facilities include private dining and conference facilities for up to eighty guests, a wedding licence, free wifi access for guest’s use and inclusive car parking. Accommodation bookings can be made online directly from the Hotel’s website: www.george-hotel.net
Hathersage is easily accessible from the major cities of Sheffield and Manchester and is 20 miles from the M1 junction 29. In the heart of the Peak National Park, the attractions of Chatsworth House, Haddon Hall and the glorious walking countryside are all within easy reach.