George Montague wins top new award
- Credit: Archant
Rock jazz funk singer songwriter George Montague wins Search for Unsigned Talent with Cheltenham Jazz Festival and Decca Records
Singer, songwriter, composer, musician 22-year-old George Montague won the search for Unsigned Talent at this year’s Cheltenham Jazz Festival.
In a brand new initiative for 2013 – Decca Records’ Verve label joined forces with Cheltenham Jazz Festival to launch a new talent search – Search for a New Jazz Star. This exciting competition was set up to find and celebrate the brightest up-and-coming jazz talent from across the UK and showcase their skills at the Festival.
A panel of leading industry experts choose a favourite from all music and videos submitted and then invited George to perform a one hour set (as a trio) on the Free Stage at the Jazz Festival on May 4.
Mike Bartlett, Director of Decca Affiliated Labels, says, “The UK is a hotbed of talent across all genres of music and the UK jazz scene long been a bright light of creativity and originality. We were very happy to partner with Cheltenham Jazz Festival in this search to find and celebrate the best young jazz musicians in the UK.”
George says, “To have been chosen by Decca was a delightful and wonderful shock, I wasn’t expecting it at all! What a marvellous honour to get such kind and welcome recognition... thank you.”
Now performing his original songs across the UK with his 6-piece ‘notsobigband’. George played his full brand of jazz, funk and rock to a packed audience in the Jazz Festival’s Jazz Arena, as part of the main programme on Bank Holiday Monday, May 6. George says, “Playing the Jazz Arena at Cheltenham Jazz Festival was amazing! Words can’t even begin to describe the excitement and awe I felt to be hammering out my songs on a gorgeous grand piano with my spectacular notsobigband behind me and a magnificent audience in front complete with their heads bobbing, feet tapping and hands clapping. I was in bliss.”
- 1 Star cast unveiled for new ITV crime drama set in North Devon
- 2 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 4 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021
- 5 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 6 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 7 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 8 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Cornwall this Halloween
- 9 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 10 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Somerset this Halloween
• For further information on George, please visit www.georgemontague.com