George Montague wins top new award
- Credit: Archant
Rock jazz funk singer songwriter George Montague wins Search for Unsigned Talent with Cheltenham Jazz Festival and Decca Records
Singer, songwriter, composer, musician 22-year-old George Montague won the search for Unsigned Talent at this year’s Cheltenham Jazz Festival.
In a brand new initiative for 2013 – Decca Records’ Verve label joined forces with Cheltenham Jazz Festival to launch a new talent search – Search for a New Jazz Star. This exciting competition was set up to find and celebrate the brightest up-and-coming jazz talent from across the UK and showcase their skills at the Festival.
A panel of leading industry experts choose a favourite from all music and videos submitted and then invited George to perform a one hour set (as a trio) on the Free Stage at the Jazz Festival on May 4.
Mike Bartlett, Director of Decca Affiliated Labels, says, “The UK is a hotbed of talent across all genres of music and the UK jazz scene long been a bright light of creativity and originality. We were very happy to partner with Cheltenham Jazz Festival in this search to find and celebrate the best young jazz musicians in the UK.”
George says, “To have been chosen by Decca was a delightful and wonderful shock, I wasn’t expecting it at all! What a marvellous honour to get such kind and welcome recognition... thank you.”
Now performing his original songs across the UK with his 6-piece ‘notsobigband’. George played his full brand of jazz, funk and rock to a packed audience in the Jazz Festival’s Jazz Arena, as part of the main programme on Bank Holiday Monday, May 6. George says, “Playing the Jazz Arena at Cheltenham Jazz Festival was amazing! Words can’t even begin to describe the excitement and awe I felt to be hammering out my songs on a gorgeous grand piano with my spectacular notsobigband behind me and a magnificent audience in front complete with their heads bobbing, feet tapping and hands clapping. I was in bliss.”
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
- 3 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 4 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 5 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 6 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 7 Bluebell walks in Suffolk: Beautiful spring woodlands to explore
- 8 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 9 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 10 Bluebell woods in Derbyshire: Top 5 places to go for woodland walks
• For further information on George, please visit www.georgemontague.com