Hairspray comes to Stonehouse
- Credit: Archant
A school production of the award-winning musical comedy Hairspray is coming to Stonehouse from Wednesday, June 25 to Friday, June 27.
Students from Maidenhill are getting ready to perform in the high-energy show, which will take place at the school from 7pm.
Set in Baltimore, America, in the early 1960s, Hairspray tells the story of teenager Tracy Turnblad, who achieves her dream of performing on the Corny Collins Show, in spite of obstacles put in her way by evil producer, Velma Von Tussle. In the process, Tracy confronts some serious issues involving integration and social acceptance.
Director Chris Stimson-Machers, who heads up Maidenhill’s performing arts department, said: “We chose this show because it’s a fun piece of entertainment but also carries a serious message, which the students have really taken to heart. It’s great to have such an enthusiastic and talented group of youngsters, fully committed to putting on the best possible performance.
“Our shows are always very popular and this year is no exception. More than 40 students from every year group are involved in all aspects, from performance to choreography, set design, technical and backstage support and publicity. Whilst we have some talented lead performers, we also have a really strong supporting cast. This show would not succeed without the enthusiasm and hard work of everyone involved.”
Lead roles are taken by Corra Bradford (Tracy), Charlie Phelps (Edna), Joe Oliver (Wilbur), Harrison Clifford (Link), Carrick Stimpson-Machers (Corny), Eleanor Banks (Amber) and Lily Atkins (Velma).
Year 10 student and keen dancer Jasmine Sweetland is choreographing the exuberant dance routines.
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 4 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 5 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 6 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 7 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 8 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 9 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 10 Al fresco dining in Cornwall: 9 of the best places to go
Tickets, priced at £6 (£4 for concessions: Maidenhill students and former students, children and over-65s) are available from Maidenhill during school opening times, or on 01453 822469.
For further information, contact:
Chris Stimson-Machers, Subject Leader, Performing Arts, Maidenhill School, Kings Road, Stonehouse
Tel: 01453 822469