Hayward Smart are ‘Building the Dream’
- Credit: Archant
A house designed by Shipston architects features in a new television series
A house designed by Shipston-based Hayward Smart Architects is featured in a new series on More 4, called ‘Building the Dream’. The programme, aired on Tuesday, October 8 at 9pm, follows the story of a family moving from Warwickshire to Wales.
Josh and Rhian Cooper approached Hayward Smart Architects for help when they bought a property in Aberdovey as they were familiar with their work locally.
The 1960s house was poorly built and unattractive but on an elevated site with broad views across the Dovey estuary. The couple felt the most cost effective option would be to demolish the existing property and replace it with a purpose-designed house.
Josh Cooper said: “When we decided to build our ‘forever’ home on the Welsh coast, Hayward Smart spent time ensuring they understood our lifestyle needs and then designed a home which not only meets those needs but which also sits sympathetically within its surroundings. The house works perfectly, with the living space making the most of the beautiful coastal views.”
The site is within the Snowdonia National Park and so it was important to respect the local building style. The new house is simple in form but has curved walls clad in cedar boarding. A laser-cut steel staircase with oak treads and structural glass balustrading adds visual impact to the hall, and local materials such as slate are used both inside and out.
Hayward Smart Architects have created many one-off houses both locally and nationwide. They recently held the first of a series of open days at their offices in Shipston, offering a free consultation to anyone considering extending or building a new home.
- 1 5 of the best farmers markets in Cheshire
- 2 Devon coast to star in new Ainsley Harriott series on Channel 4
- 3 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
- 4 Two Norfolk spots to star in new Ainsley Harriott series on Channel 4
- 5 The mysterious lost ghost villages of Norfolk
- 6 Top celebrity craft makers head for Devon festival
- 7 5 reasons to move to the Peak District
- 8 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 9 Waterfalls, Weirs and Cascades of the Peak District
- 10 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
Simon Hayward, Director, said, “We realise that many people find it difficult to find time to sit down and consider how they could improve their home or contemplate moving. We feel we can offer a service that takes away this stress.”
Watch Series 1 Episode 5 on 4oD:
Those interested in discussing their dream home with Hayward Smart Architects can call: 01608 661000
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit their website: www.hsarchitects.co.uk