Jumpin’ at the Woodside event
- Credit: Archant
Jumpin’ at the Woodside is a festival of swing music and dance taking place in Staverton, Gloucester, on May 23-25
Jumpin’ at the Woodside features a host of live swing bands, dance classes, vintage stalls, glamping, circus skills sessions, food, DJs and a foot-tapping festival atmosphere for a whole weekend. The action takes place at the Dowty Sports and Social Club at Staverton from Friday May 23 to Sunday May 25.
Organiser James Hamilton said:“The bands will be rockin’ and you can dance your socks off if you want to.” James runs the Jazzjiveswing Dance Company and teaches jive, lindyhop and balboa all over Gloucestershire with his wife Bridget.
The band line-up includes Si Cranstoun, The Indigo Kings, Hep Chaps, Electric Swing Circus and The Paper Moon Band, alongside swing DJs. Dance teachers will offer lessons in Jive, Lindyhop, Charleston and Swing, including taster session for complete beginners.
But JATW is not just for dancers. James said: “If you’re one of the ‘can’t dance, won’t dance’ brigade, that’s fine. There’s a fully-licensed bar, food and fine looking people as well as all the swing and jazz music for you to feast your ears upon. If you like the sounds but dancing is a load of old pants in your book, then just settle yourself in and have a listen to see some of the most authentic swinging bands around.
“It’s a friendly festival atmosphere with great music and the chance to dance. People can sit back and enjoy some of the best music on the planet. They can drink tea, sup beer, eat cake, laze in the sun, jump up and leap about – or all of those things.”
James launched Jazzjiveswing from Stroud more than 20 years ago and, with his wife Bridget, has since been instrumental in turning Gloucestershire into a popular swing dance location.
- 1 10 famous (and not so famous) castles in Cheshire
- 2 Why you should move to Bridlington
- 3 Castle Carr - Yorkshire’s mysterious hidden garden
- 4 Puffin Sculpture Trail comes to the Yorkshire Coast this summer
- 5 Andrew Flintoff returns to Preston to form cricket team
- 6 Win a bumper prize of Devon’s best food and drink
- 7 New Railway Children film trailer features stunning Yorkshire locations
- 8 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 9 The most luxurious places to stay in Cornwall
- 10 All you need to know about the 2022 Great Yorkshire Show
Tickets for Jumpin’ at the Woodside are £69 for the whole weekend, or £35 for single days (student concessions available). Children under 16 go free. Onsite camping is free for weekend ticket holders. There’s also glamping.
To book tickets or for more info: www.jazzjiveswing.com or email email@example.com