Lytham Hall 250th birthday celebrations
- Credit: Archant
More than 300 people attended a special party to mark Lytham Hall’s 250th birthday. Building work started on the imposing Georgian hall in 1764 when the local squire Thomas Clifton moved in and the anniversary was celebrated with music, poetry and fun.
The Friends of Lytham Hall organised a masked ball in a marquee in the grounds and the first 250 guests at the party the following day each received a free cream tea. Music was provided by April Keen and her band and there were readings of poetry, including verses written by the last squire of Lytham Hall Harry Clifton.
Guests of honour at the event were the mayor and mayoress of Fylde, Cllr Kevin Eastham and his wife Valerie, and the day included tours of the hall, games for young visitors and a pop-up museum.
The existing hall replaced an older building, parts of which were incorporated into the red-brick structure which was built by John Carr of York. The older parts were used by the servants, with the grander rooms at the front of the hall for the Clifton family.