Make the right move
- Credit: Archant
Naomi Tolley reports on care across Devon
MAKING the decision to move into a residential care or nursing home can be a difficult enough step, let alone facing the process of finding the right home that meets all of your needs.
But 450 people in the UK make the move every single day. And Devon care specialists, Care South, with country house care homes in Bideford and Barnstaple, have issued five steps to help people considering the move to make the right decision.
“When considering your care options it is important that you have all of the information available to help you make an informed choice about what is the right care for you or your loved one,” says a spokesman from Care South.
There five guidelines are:
1. Research: It’s important to look at all the options so that you can make the right decision. Different care homes have different facilities and offer different ranges of care, from assisted living apartments to full time care for dependent residents and specialist dementia facilities.
2. Get the details: Contact the homes and ask for a brochure to find out more information. Care homes should be able to tell you their price ranges for the different levels of care they offer, although exact prices generally depend upon a full assessment.
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 4 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 5 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 6 Martin Clunes shares his favourite local places in Dorset
- 7 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 8 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 9 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 10 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
3. Visit: Make sure you visit the care homes that you are considering. Fill out a checklist during your visits, so you can easily compare homes to others in areas such as facilities, meals and activities as well as comparing more subjective factors such as the atmosphere of the home.
4. Undertake an assessment: Once you have made your decision, book a time for an assessment to be made. Everyone’s needs are different and care homes will want to ensure they are fully up to speed with your requirements and offer the best balance of care.
5. Plan your transition: Ask the staff at the care home what can be done to make the move as easy as possible. Find out if you can bring your own favourite pieces of furniture and possessions with you to help create familiar and comfortable surroundings.
Care South has country house care homes in Kenwith Castle in Bideford and Fremington Manor in Barnstaple. For further information, call 01202 712 400 or visit caresouth.co.uk.