MEET CORNWALL'S CRABS AND CRITTERS
A wildlife event provides the opportunity to meet crabs and crab fishermen along the Helford Passage in Cornwall
Discover the myriad of crabs and other critters that live in the Helford Passage with a muddy shore exploration and meet local crab fishers and their catch on Sunday 13July.
The search for these fascinating mud-dwelling sea creatures is being led by Matt Slater from leading local wildlife charity Cornwall Wildlife Trust for the Helford Marine Conservation Group and will focus on Bar Beach, Helford Passage, during an exceptionally low tide. Matt, a Marine Awareness Officer for the Trust, will be meeting fellow explorers outside the Ferryboat Inn at 12 noon, and the search is expected to last for two hours.
'We are expecting to find shore crabs, rag worms and peacock worms, cockles and other mud dwelling shellfish. It will be great fun, hands on and very muddy,' warns Matt Slater.
To add another element to the experience Lynda and Simon Filmer of Filmers Fish will be coming ashore with a selection of large specimens of edible crabs and lobsters, and they will be demonstrating how these are caught using crab pots in this local sustainable fishery.
“This low impact fishery is very selective, undersized crabs are returned un-harmed and catches have remained stable for many years,' says Through our Cornwall Good Seafood Guide, Cornwall Wildlife Trust aims to highlight examples of low impact and well managed fisheries, and will explain improvements being made by our fishers to give us all the confidence to support the fishing industry which is so important to Cornwall both economically and culturally”.
There is no charge for this event, but booking is necessary. Contact Helford Coordinator Sue Scott on 01326 340961 or 0777 232 3502
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 5 Win Castle Howard Prom Tickets & a VIP Hamper
- 6 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 7 8 great family walks in the North West
- 8 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 9 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 10 6 great walks near Skipton