Meet the Head: Alastair Cook of The Downs Malvern
- Credit: Archant
A beautiful location and delightfully happy children were just two of the reasons why Alastair Cook wanted to set down roots at The Downs Malvern
Name of school: The Downs Malvern
Name of head: Alastair S Cook B Ed (Hons) FRGS
Address of school: Brockhill Road, Colwall, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR13 6ET
Tel: 01684 544 108 (Registrar)
How long have you been at The Downs Malvern?
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 4 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 5 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 6 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 7 Martin Clunes shares his favourite local places in Dorset
- 8 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 9 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 10 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
I am starting my fifth year at the school.
What attracted you to it?
My wife and I first visited the school in 2009 and were impressed by the delightfully happy children and its outstandingly beautiful location on the western side of the Malvern Hills.
What do you consider the strengths of the school to be?
The strengths are many and varied; each pupil has the opportunity to develop his or her own interests, skills and talents and to shine.
The recent inspection summarised: ‘The school offers an excellent educational experience. Throughout the school the pupils’ achievement is excellent and they reach high standards both in their academic work and in a wide range of extra-curricular activities’.
Tell me something about your pupils…
The Downs is a leading day and boarding prep school for girls and boys from 3 to 13 years. The pupils progress to a variety of senior schools at Year 8; many gain scholarships and other awards. The majority move across the Hills to our affiliated senior school, Malvern College.
What are the fees?
The fees range from £2,068 per term in Reception to £6,578 per term for the full boarding.
The Downs was founded in 1900 and over the past 113 years many of the children and staff have gone on to achieve in a wide variety of fields: military, science, education and business. The school can boast two science Nobel Laureates, Alan Hodgkin and Frederick Sanger who was only the fourth ‘Double Laureate’ as well as Lawrence Gowing, a national artist and AJP Taylor, the notable historian.
What does the future hold?
The future is bright with an emphasis on a modern education with strong traditional foundation of care, good manners and hard work.