Miniature Pony Centre
- Credit: Archant
Finding a great day out that is fun and engaging for the children, yet safe, clean and friendly on the pocket is exactly what you get when you visit the Miniature Pony Centre up on beautiful Dartmoor National Park.
Here, families and their children experience animals and fun-filled activities in a family-run haven which prides itself on the care and management of its animals and the natural environment.
As well as the famous miniature Shetland ponies and Mediterranean miniature donkeys, there are lots of other friendly animals to meet - Pygmy goats, Kune Kune pigs, Shetland sheep and lambs, chickens and ducks, as well as rabbits, gerbils, mice and guinea pigs. There are plenty of fun, free and hands-on activities suitable for all ages - helping to feed the animals, small animal handling, horse shows, or operating a real tractor are just some of the daily events.
There are also lots of extra activities during School Holidays, including regular children’s entertainers.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN a holiday to the Isles of Scilly worth £1000
- 3 Gardoolet: WIN this summer's best garden game
- 4 Win a 2 night beach stay at The Beachcroft Hotel in Sussex
- 5 Are you ready for the greatest show this summer?
- 6 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 7 Win a luxury break at The Draycott Hotel in Chelsea
- 8 WIN a stay at Hornington Manor's new shepherd huts
- 9 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 10 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
Budding young riders can head to the riding arena for a pony ride - a rosette is awarded to all riders. (There is a small extra charge for pony rides, which are for children aged 3 - 10 inclusive). There are lots of play areas, both indoors and outdoors, where children of all ages can burn off that excess energy, as well as trampolines and a mini tractor pen, where budding young farmers can test out their tractor skills. And after a picnic, or lunch in the Paddock View Café, you can enjoy a walk around the grounds, giving you the chance to take in a combination of habitats including a willow garden, wetlands and ponds.
There really is something for everyone at Devon’s best-kept secret, The Miniature Pony Centre on Dartmoor. A memorable Dartmoor day. Easy to find on the main B3212 road, just 2 miles west of Moretonhampstead, towards Princetown. Post code TQ13 8RG. Telephone 01647 432400. www.miniatureponycentre .com for further details.