New attractions join east Dorset’s first specialist plant fair
- Credit: Archant
A beautiful rare fern will be amongst the many rare and unusual plants available at east Dorset’s first specialist plant fair on 24 May.
Called the Upside-down Fern as the fronds look as though they are growing upside down, the evergreen Arachniodes standishii thrives in containers and can survive even the worst winters as it is hardy to minus 20 degrees.
The fern is one of over 100 varieties grown by wholesale nursery Country Garden Plant Sales, alongside fruiting grapevines and unusual shrubs in a range that is normally only available to the trade. The plant fair, at Wimborne’s Knoll Gardens offers an opportunity to buy direct from a selection of specialist growers.
Koirin Azalea Centre specialises in azaleas and rhododendrons. Its plants feature in Kingston Lacy’s Japanese Garden and some of the owner‘s personal favourites will be at the plant sale including the hybrid Rhododendron Horizon Monarch. “Its large yellow flowers would be enough to make this plant garden worthy,” said Mark Jackson. “But with its stunning pink undertones and a small vivid red flare it really stands out”. Koirin will be offering a discount on all its stock on 24 May.
Alongside an array of plants including acers, heathers, camellias, blueberries, ornamental grasses and flowering perennials other attractions include free garden tours, talks and Q&A sessions, a children’s trail and refreshments. Local willow weaver Tracy Standish will also be there all day offering the opportunity to weave your own bird feeder to take home, or buy one of her unusual willow sculpture dragonflies for your garden.
The Plant Fair runs from 10am – 4pm on Saturday 24 May and admission to the gardens and Plant Fair is at the reduced rate of £4 for adults and £2 for children. A free tree trail and garden history guide is included in the admission price and there is also a free children’s trail.
Knoll Gardens is brown signed from the A31 at Wimborne. For more information and directions go to www.knollgardens.co.uk or call 01202 873931
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 8 of the best places for a bluebell walk in Surrey
- 3 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 4 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 5 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 6 Win a short break in London at The Dilly on Piccadilly
- 7 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 8 Bluebell walks in Suffolk: Beautiful spring woodlands to explore
- 9 7 of the best places to eat al fresco in York
- 10 Bluebell woods in Derbyshire: Top 5 places to go for woodland walks