Phil Redmond launches a major appeal for St Luke’s, Cheshire
- Credit: Archant
Phil Redmond, creator of TV’s Brookside, Grange Hill and Hollyoaks, and his wife Alexis welcomed more than 70 people to their home near Tarporley to help launch a major appeal for St Luke’s, Cheshire.
The President’s Appeal, marking the hospice’s 25th anniversary, aims to raise £500,000 to improve end of life care by building a centre of excellence offering specialist training to people caring for the frail and elderly in the community.
Guests including the Earl and Countess of Derby, Cheshire’s Lord Lieutenant David Briggs, medical professionals, business leaders and local hospice fundraisers heard how a site near Sandbach had been earmarked for the development.
Hospice President Arthur Freeman said: ‘St Luke’s is an expert in its field, providing an excellent and well-regarded level of dignified end of life care but is limited by the number of its beds. To build another hospice would take £10m but this does not need to happen. With £500,000 we can reach out to care providers in the community and replicate our model.’
St Luke’s, based in Winsford, already supports Cheshire Hospice Education in helping to train different professionals and care home workers in palliative expertise. A centre of excellence would extend this out-reach work further.
The launch was supported by Rodney Densem Wines, Chocyholics of Nantwich, Pure PR, F & D Catering, Corkscrew Hire, Delmar Press and Orion Events.
Professor Redmond said: ‘With an ageing population, end of life care is an increasingly pressing issue. We need greater education and more open debate around the subject so a centre of excellence offering specialist training to help people face the issue seems not only highly desirable but logical. That is why Alexis and I are only too happy to help.’
- 1 Devon coast to star in new Ainsley Harriott series on Channel 4
- 2 What's on in Norfolk June 2022
- 3 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 4 Ball and Boe announce a new album for 2022
- 5 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 10 Cheshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 7 10 Yorkshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 These are the Cornwall beaches awarded Blue Flag status in 2022
- 9 Queen's Platinum Jubilee: 13 events to celebrate in Cornwall
- 10 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
Anyone who can help with fundraising is asked to call appeal coordinator Martha Hine on 01606 555685.