Do you want the Prudential Ride to continue on Surrey’s streets?
- Credit: Ben Queenborough for Prudential RideLondon
The future of the annual Prudential Ride London event in Surrey could be in doubt after Surrey County Council (SCC) opened a public consultation on the future route
The two-day event has seen hundreds of amateur and professional cyclists passing through Surrey's streets since 2013. The best action is broadcast live on TV across the globe and the event has raised more than £66 million for charity since 2013.
Despite its popularity, with crowds often lining the streets, the event has also faced criticism for the level of road closures and travel disruption caused. This year's event is still scheduled to take place in Surrey from August 15-16, but the council is set to make a decision on whether the county continues to host the event.
Views are now being sought on whether the event continues in Surrey from 2021 until 2025. "If the Cabinet agrees not to host the event in Surrey, we are committed to run the event for the last time in 2021 in order to enable the event organisers enough time to find an alternative host," the council has said.
Surrey has a rich cycling heritage,which Chris Howard, chair of Visit Surrey, thinks Ride London has helped develop, she said: "Surrey has been a Mecca for cyclists since bicycles were first invented back in Victorian times. The Prudential Ride London and the Olympic Cycle race through Surrey further cemented this cycling legacy. I know plenty of counties that will be queuing up to take over the Ride London Cycle Race.
"The bottom line is it brings in a lot of money to this county's tourism industry, which employs over 35,000 people. Many of our small village pubs and shops would not survive without the extra income generated from this event, and many Surrey charities would no longer receive the huge funds generated by the race to help them deliver vital services to this county's charitable sector," she adds.
What do you think? For more information on the consultation and to give your view, visit surreysays.co.uk/deputy-ceo/survey-on-prudential-ridelondon-surrey/
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 3 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
- 4 Seven Falls, Tintwistle - a hidden gem in the Peak District
- 5 Win Castle Howard Prom Tickets & a VIP Hamper
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 7 8 great family walks in the North West
- 8 Win the full range of Bashall Spirits Gins
- 9 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 10 10 of the prettiest Villages in Dorset to visit