Recipe: Fine dining in Curry Rivel
- Credit: sub
A couple of years ago, the village of Curry Rivel between Taunton and Langport was embellished by the arrival of Living Pretty, an elegant tea shop serving lovely home-made cakes and other fare. Now the enterprise has blossomed to include a Supper Club, in which chef Marjie McConnell lures locals to sample more of her inspired cooking.
The next event is on Thursday 26th September. The £28 menu includes such choices as Butter Bean Soup, Chicken Shallot and Tarragon Pot Pie and Plum Frangipane Tart.
This a recipe, from June’s Super Club, for a fabulous veal burger. Although you can buy minced veal from good butchers and supermarkets, Marjie is supplied by the Sausage Shed in Stembridge, featured recently in Somerset Life. It can be cooked on the hob or on the barbecue.
Cooking Time: 16 minutes
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Makes: Four burgers
- 1 Devon coast to star in new Ainsley Harriott series on Channel 4
- 2 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
- 3 Two Norfolk spots to star in new Ainsley Harriott series on Channel 4
- 4 5 of the best farmers markets in Cheshire
- 5 The mysterious lost ghost villages of Norfolk
- 6 Waterfalls, Weirs and Cascades of the Peak District
- 7 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 8 Blue Flag Beaches 2022: 10 outstanding Kent beaches to visit
- 9 5 reasons to move to the Peak District
- 10 Inside this artist's Cornish home on the market for £1.5 million
125g grated parmesan
50g fresh basil, chopped
One garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
500g lean ground veal
2tsp vegetable oil
In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg, add cheese, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Using a fork, lightly beat until well mixed. Add veal and work with the fork or your hands until blended. Shape into four good sized burgers.
Heat oil in a large frying pan, set over a low heat and sauté burgers for about 8 minutes per side. Alternatively you can grill or barbecue the burgers, depending on your mood or the weather. Serve in a warm ciabatta roll with Dijon mustard mayonnaise on a bed of rocket & vine tomatoes, topped with homemade salsa. Serve with roasted new potatoes, mixed leaf salad & homemade coleslaw.