Renowned doctor takes to famous chair for Stroud charity
- Credit: Archant
Local GP, Dr Mark Porter MBE, is appearing in a Christmas edition of BBC Celebrity Mastermind, to raise money for local charity Meningitis Now.
Dr Porter, from Stroud, is a patron of Meningitis Now, and took to the famous chair with his chosen specialised subject being History of the Porsche 911, as well as a general knowledge round. As a result, Meningitis Now will receive a donation from the BBC.
The popular programme, presented by John Humphrys, will be aired on Thursday, 2 January at 7pm on BBC One and is Britain’s toughest TV quiz.
Sue Davie, Chief Executive of Meningitis Now, said: “We’re incredibly grateful to Mark for taking part in the show on our behalf. Both the donation and the publicity for us on a prime time TV show are fantastic. We’re all looking forward to watching the programme.”
Dr Porter is the doctor on The One Show and presenter of Radio 4′s flagship medical series Inside Health. Since joining the BBC in 1992 he has worked across the corporation’s various media, including a ten year stint as the Health Editor on Radio Times, and eight years presenting Radio 4′s Case Notes.
Mark spent five years working in hospital before moving into General Practice in 1990 where he still works today in Wotton-Under-Edge. Mark was appointed MBE in 2005 for services to medicine.
Meningitis Now formed in 2013 year after the merger of Meningitis Trust and Meningitis UK.
Visit: www.meningitisnow.org for more information.
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 4 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 5 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 6 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 7 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 8 Martin Clunes shares his favourite local places in Dorset
- 9 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 10 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way