Richard Pover charity ball raises funds for mechanical engineering scholarship
- Credit: Pics; John Cocks
Guests came together to remember Richard Pover, a young man who passed away from cancer, and to raise money for a scholarship in his name
It was a lively evening filled with memories as Richard’s mother Anne Pover organised a charity ball in his honour at the Macdonald Portal Hotel in Taporley.
Richard died in 2013 while completing a degree in Mechanical Engineering at university in Sheffield.
The charity ball raised £8000 from an auction and raffle, where guests were able to win a Land Rover driving experience, a week’s holiday from Eurocamp and many other items which were donated by Taporley businesses.
Proceeds will go to the scholarship set up in Richard’s memory that sponsors a student taking the same course. This scholarship will be awarded to one high achieiving student A-level student.
Guests enjoyed entertainment from the band Warning Flower, made up of parents from Tarporely High School as they danced into the evening.
And the fundraising efforts won’t stop, Anne Pover says: ‘If we can sponsor other students to go into the world and make their mark as mechanical engineers just as Richard would have done then we feel we have done something worthwhile of which Richard would have approved.’
- 1 WIN £200 worth of luxury silk bed products
- 2 Win a luxury ladies watch worth £199
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 Win super stylish summer shades!
- 5 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 6 A fond farewell to Torbay from the captain of cruise ship Eurodam
- 7 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 Property of the month: Godfreys Farmhouse, Great Totham
- 10 8 great family walks in the North West