South Pole hero speaks at Malvern College
- Credit: Archant
Malvern College has amongst its notable alumni Guy Disney, a soldier who served in Afghanistan and recently joined the Walking with the Wounded expeditions to the North and South Poles. Guy returned to his old school in March to describe his experiences for the audience of pupils.
In July 2009, whilst on patrol in Afghanistan, Guy Disney’s troop came under heavy and sustained small arms fire from a well-concealed enemy ambush site. A rocket-propelled grenade passed through his leg and killed one of his men alongside him. Guy’s right leg was subsequently amputated below the knee.
Walking with the Wounded was founded preciley to give support to wounded servicemen such as Guy Disney, and it was because of the charitable organisation that he found himself trekking across the frozen tundra of the Arctic alongside veterans in a similar situation.
Following on from his participation in TV program Harry’s South Pole Heroes, Guy Disney returned to his old school, Malvern College, and gave an account of his experiences with the Walking with the Wounded expeditions to the North and South Poles.
Guy described the difficulties and successes the teams had encountered on both expeditions. He spoke to students about how much he admired the determination of the soldiers who formed the teams – all of whom had sustained significant and lasting injuries in the armed services and who had battled against the elements to complete these ambitious projects.
Walking with the Wounded funds the re-training and re-education of servicemen and women, both veterans and those leaving the Armed Forces, to enable wounded personnel to rebuild their lives and to return to the work place.
To find out more please visit Walkingwiththewounded.org.uk.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 WIN £200 worth of luxury silk bed products
- 3 Win a luxury ladies watch worth £199
- 4 10 Cheshire walks close to AA recommended pubs
- 5 Win £500 of English wine from Lyme Bay Winery
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 7 Win a watercolour painting of The Matchings by artist James Merriott
- 8 Win super stylish summer shades!
- 9 13 delicious afternoon teas to try in Somerset
- 10 A 5.3 mile circular walk around Sandwich