Surrey Farm and Food Week 2013
- Credit: Archant
Packed full of farm walks and foodie events designed to explore the path between field and fork, Surrey Farm and Food Week runs from Saturday September 21 to Sunday September 29. Here are 10 of the best events taking place around our county this month...
Saturday September 21, 2pm and 4pm
Vineyard Walk at Albury Vineyard, Albury
A rare opportunity to visit this private organic English vineyard. The tours include a talk on starting a vineyard and how their first vintage was served on the Queen’s Jubilee Royal Barge. Booking essential.
Sunday September 22, 2pm to 4pm
Dairy Farm Walk at Goldstone Farm, Polesden Lacey
- 1 Slade star's wife gets two-book deal – without trading on her famous name
- 2 Cotswold designers win big at Chelsea Flower Show in 2022
- 3 The life and death of Manchester Arena bombing victim Martyn Hett
- 4 Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Celebrations in Hertfordshire
- 5 Win a Dunlopillo king size diamond mattress worth £2,500 from Peter Betteridge
- 6 Win a Stay at The Merchant's Yard, Tideswell in the Peak District
- 7 22 fab half term and Jubilee activities in Devon
- 8 10 Derbyshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 10 Yorkshire events celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 Noddy Holder's wife: my guide to being married to a rock star
Join a trailer tour to see the 2013 Surrey County Show Champion Ayrshire dairy cattle, calves, milking, modern farm technology and stunning parkland scenery.
Contact: 07587 189135
Monday September 23
Thursley Eat Local Week
The Three Horseshoes community-owned pub in Thursley is serving beef and lamb from Surrey farms all week. Know where your food was grown. Eat local, eat well. Contact: 01252 70326
Tuesday September 24, 3pm
Fruit and Vegetable Farm Walk at Secretts, Milford
Tour a cornucopia of top quality vegetables and fruit crops grown for pick-your-own and commercial harvesting. Pick up lots of expert tips on gardening for the allotment. There’s a café and farm shop too.
Contact: 01483 520500
Wednesday September 25, 11am and 3pm
Tea, Talk and Tours at Fanny’s Farm Shop, Gatton Bottom, Merstham
A wonderful elevenses and tea with a tour of the vegetable and cutting-flower gardens and a talk at the fascinating new farm museum.
Contact: 01737 554444
Friday September 27, 2pm
Fruit Farm Walk at Tuesley Farm, Milford
With over 400 acres of strawberries, blueberries, gooseberries and redcurrants, Tuesley achieved the accolade of the first Waitrose Demonstration Farm in 2012.
Contact: 01483 410940
Friday September 27, 11am
Brewery Tour at Tillingbourne Brewery, Shere
Tour this successful micro-brewery at Old Scotland Farm on the North Downs to find out how beer is made. Tastings and sales. Contact: 01483 222228
Saturday September 28, 2pm
The Butcher’s Hall Pie Competitions at The Parrot, Forest Green
On the day, there will be two competitions – a pie eating and poetry contest (pies supplied) and a friendly home-made pie competition. Bring your own pies to be judged by an expert.
Saturday September 28, 2.30pm
Surrey Sheepdogs on the Downs at Shabden Park Farm
Watch the sheepdog trial and visit Shabden’s own farmers’ market to shop for some local produce.
Contact: 01737 552744
Sunday September 29, 9am-5pm
County Ploughing Match and Country Fair, Loseley Park
Traditional rural entertainment in the lovely setting of Loseley Park, Guildford, with ploughing classes for horse teams, and vintage and modern tractors. A great family day out.
• For more information about the events taking place as part of Surrey Farm and Food Week, visit their website at surreycountyshow.co.uk