Open-air swimming pools in Sussex
- Credit: Archant
A number of outdoor swimming pools have opened their doors to the public, just in time for summer
Re-opening 20 July
Set in the beautiful and historic town of Arundel and overlooked by its impressive castle, this lovely site has three pools – a children’s pool, entry pool and the main swimming pool. All are heated to around 28 degrees, overseen by lifeguards and surrounded by landscaped grass. All sessions must be pre-booked and there’s also the option for family bubles to hire a section of the main pool. Tickets: from £5.50; family bookable sessions £20.50
Re-opens 24/25 July
Pells Pool, which opened in 1861, is the oldest documented freshwater swimming pool in the UK. It is fed by springs and unheated, with the water usually becoming gradually warmer throughout the season. Given the sorter season this year visitors are warned to expect cooler temperatures! This is a beautiful spot for a refreshing dip. Numbers are being limited, with ticketed sessions paid for in advance, and socially distanced swimming. Evening sessions are being limited to lane swimming.
- 1 Devon celebrity chef unveils latest eatery
- 2 10 of the best restaurants for al fresco dining in Norfolk
- 3 A stunning £6 million home near Alderley Edge, Wilmslow, and Prestbury.
- 4 19 great places to eat outdoors in Cheshire after lockdown
- 5 The must-have flowers and plants for gardens in 2021
- 6 12 outdoor dining experiences in Surrey
- 7 Cornwall's best dog-friendly beaches...and places to eat on the way
- 8 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
- 9 17 of the best spots for al fresco dining in Essex
- 10 35 great Surrey pubs with beer gardens and terraces
Re-opening this summer, date TBC
This beautiful Grade II-listed Art Deco lido re-opened in 2018 after a huge community effort to save from demolition what English Heritage has called “The seventh wonder of the English countryside.” The swimming pool has been restored to its original crescent-shaped design and plans are now under way to restore the building itself which has remained closed to the public. The management has not yet announced full details of re-opening but keep an eye on the website and Facebook for updates.