Take your bases to bat away meningitis
- Credit: Archant
Sam Virgo, of Berkeley, bravely battled meningitis, but passed away aged just two in 2008. Since then, his family and friends have organised an annual rounders fundraiser and summer fair at Berkeley Football Field in aid of Meningitis Now.
The fifth event, arranged by Lisa Higgins, Corinne Regan and committee, is on Saturday, July 19, from 10am to 11pm.
It includes the mixed rounders competition, a bar, barbecue, free bouncy castles, stalls, children’s craft tent and live evening bands.
Sam Virgo’s mum Sue said: “The day has something for everyone – active people can enter the rounders competition, but those wishing to relax can enjoy the stalls, a drink and the barbecue. It’s the perfect chance to unite people to remember Sam as well as raise vital funds and awareness to beat the disease that swiftly took him. We hope lots of people join us because we don’t want anyone else to feel the pain of losing a loved one to meningitis.”
Meningitis Now founder Steve Dayman MBE, of Alveston, launched the UK’s meningitis movement after losing his baby Spencer to the disease in 1982.
He added: “We thank Sue, James and the gang for organising the action-packed fun day. Without people like them, we couldn’t continue our lifesaving work to fund pioneering preventative research, raise awareness and support survivors and their families. We wish everyone the best for the day.”
To sign up a team of nine for the rounders competition, or for more information, call Lisa on 07885 881145 or Corrine on 07841 344001.
- 1 10 famous (and not so famous) castles in Cheshire
- 2 WIN a weekend escape at St. Mellion Estate, Cornwall
- 3 Why you should move to Bridlington
- 4 5 of the best pick your own farms in Hampshire
- 5 What's On in Devon, July 2022
- 6 Puffin Sculpture Trail comes to the Yorkshire Coast this summer
- 7 11 of the most Instagrammble locations in Surrey
- 8 What's On in Cornwall, July 2022
- 9 Win a bumper prize of Devon’s best food and drink
- 10 Naturism in the Cotswolds
Address: Berkeley Football Field, Off Fieldview, Berkeley, GL13 9EL
To donate visit: www.meningitisnowforeverfunds.tributefunds.com/SamVirgo
Meningitis Now formed after Meningitis UK and Meningitis Trust merged in 2013. For more information, visit www.MeningitisNow.org