Take your bases to bat away meningitis
- Credit: Archant
Sam Virgo, of Berkeley, bravely battled meningitis, but passed away aged just two in 2008. Since then, his family and friends have organised an annual rounders fundraiser and summer fair at Berkeley Football Field in aid of Meningitis Now.
The fifth event, arranged by Lisa Higgins, Corinne Regan and committee, is on Saturday, July 19, from 10am to 11pm.
It includes the mixed rounders competition, a bar, barbecue, free bouncy castles, stalls, children’s craft tent and live evening bands.
Sam Virgo’s mum Sue said: “The day has something for everyone – active people can enter the rounders competition, but those wishing to relax can enjoy the stalls, a drink and the barbecue. It’s the perfect chance to unite people to remember Sam as well as raise vital funds and awareness to beat the disease that swiftly took him. We hope lots of people join us because we don’t want anyone else to feel the pain of losing a loved one to meningitis.”
Meningitis Now founder Steve Dayman MBE, of Alveston, launched the UK’s meningitis movement after losing his baby Spencer to the disease in 1982.
He added: “We thank Sue, James and the gang for organising the action-packed fun day. Without people like them, we couldn’t continue our lifesaving work to fund pioneering preventative research, raise awareness and support survivors and their families. We wish everyone the best for the day.”
To sign up a team of nine for the rounders competition, or for more information, call Lisa on 07885 881145 or Corrine on 07841 344001.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 Win a Mini-Moon experience for two at The Feathered Nest in the Cotswolds
- 5 7 great walks near Kirkby Lonsdale
- 6 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 7 5 great walks in and around Kendal
- 8 6 great walks near Skipton
- 9 8 great family walks in the North West
- 10 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
Address: Berkeley Football Field, Off Fieldview, Berkeley, GL13 9EL
To donate visit: www.meningitisnowforeverfunds.tributefunds.com/SamVirgo
Meningitis Now formed after Meningitis UK and Meningitis Trust merged in 2013. For more information, visit www.MeningitisNow.org