The Annual Horse and Dog Show
- Credit: Archant
Sun shines on Sanctuary during its annual Horse and Dog Show
An excellent turnout despite the bad weather forecast helped The Mare and Foal Sanctuary raise more than £3,500 at its annual Horse and Dog Show, now in its 24th year.
Held at its Visitor Centre near Totnes on September 13th, the event to raise much needed funds saw competitors from all over Devon take part in numerous registered and novelty classes, as the promised rain held off and the sun shone.
For the first time this year there was a Supreme Champion prize up for grabs, where the winners from all the rings go through to compete for an overall prize. Congratulations go to Ella Venning who won on Bully, with Jasmine Butt on Buster as the Reserve. In the dog show the pedigree overall winner was Ted, a gorgeous black Labrador, and the novelty prize was taken by a lovely Lurcher named Jazz.
One of the highlights for staff was seeing so many of their own horses and ponies which have gone through the rehabilitation and rehoming process back with their new carers and looking fantastic, including Quest, Tosca and Urchin.
The money raised will go towards the Sanctuary’s work rescuing, rehabilitating and rehoming horses in need, and Centre Manager Tracy Gray praised everyone for their hard work.
She said: “It was such a lovely day, the sun shone and it was a lovely relaxed atmosphere.
- 1 The Hairy Bikers Yorkshire Food Tour
- 2 Fireworks displays and bonfire night events in Sussex 2021
- 3 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 4 11 best Devon Christmas markets for 2021
- 5 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 6 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 7 Where to pick pumpkins in Dorset for Halloween 2021
- 8 5 pumpkin patches to visit in Sussex this autumn
- 9 The Hairy Bikers Go North to explore the Yorkshire coast
- 10 The 5 best pumpkin patches in Somerset this Halloween
“I want to say a huge thank you to the staff who worked so hard, the judges and all the competitors and spectators who always make these events so much fun.
“Special thanks go to the Great Western Passage House Hotel for donating the prizes for the Supreme Champion.
“It’s only thanks to our supporters that we’re able to continue our work helping equines in need, so thank you all very much.”
For further information on The Mare and Foal Sanctuary and for a list of upcoming events, visit www.mareandfoal.org/events call 01803 866615 or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.