The CLA’s Iain Curry on how we can tackle rural crime
- Credit: Archant
This time of year sees countryside crimes become a real concern, but by communicating we can help stop criminals says the CLA’s Iain Curry
The longer nights can provide more opportunities for criminals to act, particularly in remote rural areas. Now is a good time for farmers and rural communities to take action to help protect themselves over the winter months.
The CLA works closely with Hampshire Constabulary to tackle crime in the countryside, and are also a part of the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Rural Crime Partnership. Far greater results can be achieved when communities work together with each other and the local police force.
It is critically important that those in rural communities take the time to report crime or suspicious behaviour to the police. Everything from tampering with a gate to anti-social behaviour should be reported by calling 101 or 999 if life is in danger or a crime is in progress.
A new Community Messaging System, launched by Hampshire Constabulary, is already making a real difference. The alert system helps keep you informed about the rural crime issues that matter to you and it’s completely free to sign up.
Once you have registered, you can update your settings to configure the types of messages that you want to receive. Registered recipients can not only benefit from two way messaging, but also hear about positive police action and learn about community groups, events or meetings. Register now by visiting www.hampshirecountrywatch.co.uk.
- 1 5 of the best cycle cafés in Lancashire
- 2 How the Goosnargh Gin distillery bounced back from adversity
- 3 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 4 A haunting Cotswolds memoir of growing up in a ménage à trois in the 1950s
- 5 Martin Clunes shares his favourite local places in Dorset
- 6 The best second-hand bookshops in Suffolk
- 7 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 8 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 9 The best places to visit on a short break in Glossop
- 10 9 of the best golf courses in Cheshire