- Credit: Archant
A unique country pub is saved from closure and brought back to life by true community spirit and love of good food.
This historic pub was on the brink of closing, hit by a recession that forced 675 pub closures in Sussex. The pub has served locals since 1736 and to see it lost would have destroyed a vital part of the local village communities.
Three local businessmen raised the funds needed to buy the freehold of The George and Dragon Inn. Shares were offered to the local village communities with amazing response. As investors and locals we want to maintain the heritage of this fantastic country pub, serving great British produce for locals and those visiting this stunning area.
Since closing to refurbish, the pub has reopened with a new look, superb food, free wifi, plus a new name . . . ‘The George at Burpham’.
- 1 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 2 Who is the real Hampshire soldier behind BBC Two's new drama Danny Boy?
- 3 13 beautiful riverside pubs to visit in the Cotswolds
- 4 7 magical bluebell walks in Devon
- 5 6 wonderful seafood restaurants to visit in Yorkshire
- 6 20 of the best restaurants in Essex
- 7 Five hot new restaurants opening in Sussex
- 8 Bluebell walks in Dorset: 8 of the best places to go
- 9 A 5.3 mile circular walk around Sandwich
- 10 Win a unique Peak District Walk book gift box with great map books and photography
We are offering a brand new and exciting menu. Everything is home cooked with the freshest seasonal ingredients, locally sourced where possible and a ‘specials’ board changing daily. We are open for lunch 12 to 2 pm and 12 to 3pm weekends, and from 6pm for dinner. We have great wines, cocktails and our own brand real ale, ‘Bye George’!
This is the perfect venue for special occasions, parties and Summer wedding receptions - and Sunday is special at The George at Burpham with traditional roasts, classic joints and vegetarian options.
We have been delighted by the sheer number and quality of reviews, Facebook comments and tweets, singing the praises of the facelift, new menu, and standard of both food and service. Our website, georgeatburpham.co.uk, is very informative; visit it to check out our reviews and our blog. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and use our contact forms for email, feedback, table reservations, etc.
We look forward to seeing you soon!