- Credit: Archant
A unique country pub is saved from closure and brought back to life by true community spirit and love of good food.
This historic pub was on the brink of closing, hit by a recession that forced 675 pub closures in Sussex. The pub has served locals since 1736 and to see it lost would have destroyed a vital part of the local village communities.
Three local businessmen raised the funds needed to buy the freehold of The George and Dragon Inn. Shares were offered to the local village communities with amazing response. As investors and locals we want to maintain the heritage of this fantastic country pub, serving great British produce for locals and those visiting this stunning area.
Since closing to refurbish, the pub has reopened with a new look, superb food, free wifi, plus a new name . . . ‘The George at Burpham’.
- 1 9 cosy pubs in Devon to warm up in this winter
- 2 Essex firework displays: The best events for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 10 of the best Halloween events in Cheshire
- 4 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 5 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 6 12 beautiful waterfalls in Yorkshire
- 7 Christmas markets in and around the Cotswolds
- 8 10 great Halloween events in Lancashire
- 9 Magical Christmas markets in Surrey 2021
- 10 Star cast unveiled for new ITV crime drama set in North Devon
We are offering a brand new and exciting menu. Everything is home cooked with the freshest seasonal ingredients, locally sourced where possible and a ‘specials’ board changing daily. We are open for lunch 12 to 2 pm and 12 to 3pm weekends, and from 6pm for dinner. We have great wines, cocktails and our own brand real ale, ‘Bye George’!
This is the perfect venue for special occasions, parties and Summer wedding receptions - and Sunday is special at The George at Burpham with traditional roasts, classic joints and vegetarian options.
We have been delighted by the sheer number and quality of reviews, Facebook comments and tweets, singing the praises of the facelift, new menu, and standard of both food and service. Our website, georgeatburpham.co.uk, is very informative; visit it to check out our reviews and our blog. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and use our contact forms for email, feedback, table reservations, etc.
We look forward to seeing you soon!