The GREAT OUTDOORS: A fast-paced team sport
- Credit: Archant
ISABELLA BURKE charts the rise of Ultimate Frisbee in Devon. Photos by Pete Rawlinson
If you have ever jogged or walked the dog near the Exeter weir at Flowerpots then you might have been lucky enough to spot a large, mixed group of friendly, young and old, athletic people playing Ultimate Frisbee.
Ultimate Frisbee is a fast-paced, seven-a-side team sport in which the aim is to catch a frisbee in an endzone, like American Football. But there are a few things that set Ultimate apart from other sports and have led to the rise and success of professional leagues in the USA.
Firstly it’s very aerial, involving lots of crazy dives - lay-outs - and huge skys - aerial blocks.
Secondly it’s very fast paced - it appears as though no-one ever stands still for more then a second. Thirdly and most importantly, the game is self-referred and relies on players understanding and upholding the spirit of the game.
You wouldn’t think it, but Devon Ultimate is actually one of the most successful Ultimate Frisbee clubs in the country. This season the club sent four teams to the national tour and the first team qualified for the European Ultimate Championships for the first time in the club’s history, finishing fourth at 2013 UK Open Nationals.
The club also provides a competitive team for students from Exeter, Plymouth and Falmouth University as well as alumni and people employed in the local area. As well as weekly practices there are a number of NFL-style ‘Combine’ training sessions throughout the year.
- 1 20 of the best places to eat out in St Ives
- 2 20 of the best restaurants in Hertfordshire
- 3 6 waterfall walks in Derbyshire and the Peak District
- 4 5 Yorkshire walking locations with great pubs
- 5 Win a Mini-Moon experience for two at The Feathered Nest in the Cotswolds
- 6 7 great walks near Kirkby Lonsdale
- 7 5 great walks in and around Kendal
- 8 Why James Bond actor Timothy Dalton is proud of his Belper roots
- 9 10 spooky Halloween events in Sussex
- 10 16 beautiful beaches in Devon you have to visit
Our motto is and always will be Heart and Legs. We pride ourselves on being inclusive, providing development opportunities for young and new players and trying not to take ourselves too seriously except when we need too. We are Devon and proud of wearing green, white and black.
If you are interested in trying the sport or just finding out more about it, please get in contact with the club at DevonUltimate.co.uk