Facing a Separation?

Tips on divorce

Tips on divorce - Credit: Archant

The breakdown of a relationship can be a stressful, unpleasant and often overwhelming time whether you are married, in a civil partnership or living together.

Pauline Ellis, Dutton Gregory

Pauline Ellis, Dutton Gregory - Credit: Archant

Pauline Ellis, Family Solicitor & Qualified Mediator at Dutton Gregory Solicitors, answers some of the key questions:

1. How do I resolve divorce, financial and children matters?

There are lots of ways in which divorce, separation, financial and children matters can be sorted out. for example:

- mediation

- solicitor negotiation

- arbitration

Most Read

- court proceedings

It is best to obtain professional and expert advice from

a solicitor who specialises in Family Law as early on as possible. Even if the relationship breakdown is amicable, it is important you fully understand what is involved, what the law is, and what options are available to you and your family.

2. Do I have to go to court?

It is unlikely that you will have to attend court in respect of divorce proceedings. If an application is made to court in respect of children or financial matters, then you may have to attend court. If you do have to go to court. we will ensure that you are supported by a legal representative with a good knowledge of your case.

It is also possible to work out the financial and children matters without attending court and you should speak to a solicitor specialising in family law about the different ways such matters can be resolved. so that you can make an informed decision on what option is best for you and your family.

3. How Long does a divorce take?

A divorce can take between 6-8 months if not disputed, from issuing the petition to the Decree Absolute. If the divorce or finances are disputed, then this timescale can be longer depending on when such issues are resolved.

4. What am I entitled to?

What you are entitled to depends upon your circumstances, and whether you are married or living together. It is best to obtain legal advice on this from a Family solicitor.

5. What happens if we cannot agree with whom the children should Live?

The focus should always be on what is in the best interests for the children. If this cannot be agreed. the court can decide for you, but will encourage you to attend mediation first.

We are here to guide you through this process.

We will negotiate on your behalf, or provide mediation that can help you and your partner to find an appropriate way forward.

Facing a separation?

Get in touch with Pauline and our supportive

Family Team today. Call 01202 315005 or email


Comments powered by Disqus